Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/23/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Need some help with sick micros

Well I got a good deal on these because they were "stressed". When I got them they were puffing out more and actually seemed to be getting better. I've had them about 2 weeks and it's been downhill. All of my other corals are flourishing, are micros hard to bring back? What should I do? I haven't fed them after reading some threads on here but I don't know if they'll even eat anymore if I try.
TIA

Old 05/25/2005, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Any ideas?? Anyone?
Old 05/25/2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Wow, your micros, if that is what it is, is in real bad shape.

Take the frag out and take a whiff. Does it stink? Any brown jelly on it? If it stinks or have brown jelly, it's infected and you have to treat it.

If above conditions are shown, take out the frag w/a bucket of tank water and brush off all the algae and/or rot with a toothbrush. Try not to hit the good flesh. Then, if there are signs of brown jelly, siphon it out or blow it off. You can opt to do an iodine dip with tank water, but follow proper procedure and don't overdose. Put back in tank preferably in a small hang-on fuge or QT of some sort. Keep watch on it and as soon as you see some expansion or growth, tease it with some clam juice or the like to get a feeding response. When you see feeders, feed very fine minced seafoods or zooplankton only. Tease, feed after lights out for best results. Remember, nothing big or you'll have adverse effects.

If it doesn't stink nor have any signs of brown jelly, still brush off the algae because when algae-ridden, they will choke the micros and prevent it from encrusting.

Micros are pretty hardy, it can come back with just one or even half of a healthy polyp.

Good luck!
Old 05/25/2005, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Sorry about the pic, it does look like I have algae on the rock, there is no algae on the rock or in the tank for that matter. I can see a few polyps but they have receeded. I hear that they are hardy and figured that they would be coming back by now. Maybe the LFS owner new hat they were done for and just unloaded them on me for a "good deal". Here's another pic.

Old 05/25/2005, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, this is a dying one. I would immediately do an iodine dip. There are things growing on the skeleton hence the color change. Brush off regardless because they need fresh surface to encrust. You might want to frag the one on the edge and mount it on a clean rock for trials. If you don't do anything, it'll most likely continue to receed till its gone.
Old 05/25/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, let me whip out the dremel. What kind of iodine do you dip in?
Old 05/25/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Kent lugol's. Follow instructions w/proper dosage and don't dump the dip back in the tank. .
Old 05/25/2005, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Alright dremeled them, the left is the one that was on the end, the middle are some other that looked like they still had a little hope. I don't have the dip so I'll have to get some, I dremelled all of the green off of the edges and put them on a new rock.
On a side not my Niger trigger saw the superglue dangling from my finger and took a nice bite.

Old 05/25/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Haha. I would keep your micros away from all fish at this time. During healing, they may excrete mucus or even zoox that attracts all fish. Keep away.
Old 05/26/2005, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

especially triggers!!