Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2005, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

New Metal Halide Question

I recently bought two metal halide pendants on EBAY and am happy with the fit and finish. Problem is they don't stay on . The ballasts are an M57 and are quiet. Here is what I said to the seller:

I bought a pair of the 175 watt MH pendants from you recently. I finally got the chance to hook them up. First, let me say I am pleased with the product with one exception. They don't work. When I fire the ballasts up it takes a while for the lights to kick in and then they come on gradually getting brighter and brighter. They stay on for a short while and then flicker and go out!!! What is the deal here with these lights. I would really be a pleased customer if they would stay on. I used gloves to install the bulbs and I tried every combination of ballast and bulb and fixture as I was going through the troubleshooting procedure. They don't work right regardless of the combination I use. I really hope you have some kind of tip or critical information or something here because if not, I will need replacements or my money back. Please let me know. Thank you.

Here is the reply:

What should I do if my Metal Halide won't light up?
The Metal Halide may come on and off. This is normal for the first two or three weeks. The bulb will do that a few times before staying on. After this break-in period, the bulb should stabilize. First, unplug your system, and let it cool down if hot. All Metal Halides will not work unless they are allowed 30 minutes to cool down before restarting. Then, pull the little tab on the end of the spring inside the socket up to make sure base of bulb is in contact with bottom of the socket. It may be that the bulb is not making contact with the socket. Screw the bulb back in all the way so that it is in contact with bottom of the socket. Check bulb for internal damage, a small amount of broken glass is normal inside the outer glass. If you have another bulb, try it. If the second bullb does not light, the ballast may be the problem. Check to make sure the connection from ballast to bulb is in contact. Let the bulb burn the whole day and if it does not light, call our technical support

Does this sound correct?! I am a newbie MH owner upgrading from PC's and just need to know if I am being guided properly by the seller.
Old 02/16/2005, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

TTT
Old 02/16/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

What brand bulbs are you using?
Old 02/16/2005, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

They are 175watt Catalina 20k SE bulbs
Old 02/16/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Could it be the bulbs? Or is this normal and I should expect them to "break in" soon.
Old 02/16/2005, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like you may have used ballasts in a new enclosure, or your capacitors are getting too hot if there magnetic ballasts, is there a way to install a fan to blow air through the enclosure?
Old 02/18/2005, 03:41 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

sounds fishy...

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 02/18/2005, 03:43 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

I don't know, i just go with the new electronic ballasts 'cuz they ignite every kind of bulb, and if they don't, there's prob something wrong with the bulb.

Old 02/18/2005, 03:46 AM
Premium Member

Doesn't sound right to me. I have the m58 ballasts and I didn't have that problem. They do take a little while to come on, that's normal. Mine stay on once they are on though.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:52 AM
Ocean God

My halides have never once done what you describe. I think you have a ballast issue.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:53 AM
Premium Member

Reefmania1, are you following me? LOL

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:56 AM
Ocean God

Doing my best to keep up, *puff...puff...wheeze*
Old 02/18/2005, 04:05 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

yea, i've never heard of MH lamps going out.

Old 02/18/2005, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

I opened the ballast aluminum case to check them out. Verified M57 magnetic ballasts. Everything looked good. They have a 5 year warranty. I called the manufacturer and he is sending me new bulbs. Hope that works. My guess is that I have a probe type ballast with igniterless bulbs. Hell, I don't know and don't care. I spend that kind of money and it better work.
Old 02/18/2005, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Do the lamps come back on after a while? It could be an issue with the circuit you have them plugged into. Any amount of voltage drop or under current could cause the lamps to turn off. I'd try plugging them into another circuit if you can get to one and see what happens.
Old 02/18/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Typical scenario when trying to use a bulb that is designed for pulse start with a probe start ballast (I used to see this when trying to run 10k Ushios on probe start), however, I don't know the bulb you mention, so I'm not sure this is the case. Another scenario is low supply voltage to the ballast making it run at the lower end of the tolerance range if not below.

jb
Old 02/18/2005, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Another scenario is low supply voltage to the ballast making it run at the lower end of the tolerance range if not below.
I thought of this as well. I DO have a lot pushing the electricity in my study. I have 4 outlets that support a TV, Gamecube, 2 phones, A complete PC, monitor, etc, another 30 gallon reef tank with sump, and a big rubbermaid saltwater mixing vat that I have a pump and heater in currently curing some extra live rock.

I shut EVERYTHING DOWN and tried it and it still did the same thing. I really hope that it is just bulb compatability. My 55G needs light!
Old 02/18/2005, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

83ironhead: They do come back on after a while and then turn off again. They will do that all day long until I turn off the ballasts.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

If you've unplugged everything and it still happens it probably is the bulbs. The chances of both ballast being bad is slim. Probably the wrong type of bulbs for the ballast or they are worn out. I'm the maintenance supervisor in a manufacturing plant, and that's all we run is 400 watt mh's. Normally if a ballast or bulb is going bad it will have a hard time firing or go out at the slightest voltage drop.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you've unplugged everything and it still happens it probably is the bulbs.
I hope you are right. The bulbs I got were not what was advertised and the owner of the company I bought from knew that and is shipping me a bulb that is "a match for my particular ballast". I bought the equipment with the understanding that it was BRAND NEW and really hate the idea that a business would send me used stuff. I will say that so far the owner is making a strong effort to make things right. I really appreciate all the input
Old 02/18/2005, 02:46 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

hey, i just stumbled upon this the other day,
http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/metal-halide
i guess they can flicker during the "burn in" period...

Old 02/18/2005, 03:47 PM
ManHattaN ReeFeR

I had this same problem with my M57 ballast. It would start the bulb and shut off and so on, for maybe about 30-45 mins before it would actually stay lit. I then bought a new bulb and NO problems with it at all. Come on within about 20 seconds and stays on. It could be the bulbs.
Old 02/18/2005, 03:52 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

"I superglue animals to rocks"
that's my fav.