Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2004, 12:14 AM
who?

T5 Blue+ vs. Actinic

Right now I have (2) each ATI Blue+ and Sun with SLS reflectors on my 75. I really like the color, the blues are super blue but with the 6500 suns the color mixes to a nice white-ish blue. I'll be buying the final pair of lights for a total of 6 pretty soon and I'm wondering if I should just get another blue+ and sun, or 2 actinic, or ??

From what I have read the actinics are not super impressive, I would think that they don't do a lot for coral growth either (a guess) so if they are not visually better at flourescing corals should I even be considering them?

Appreciate comments from those with T5 experience! Thanks...

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 07/11/2004, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

I pulled my two T-5 Actinics after 5 months soft coral growth was at a standstill for sure not sure about hards. Blue + was not out yet so added a blue and another sun and growth was appearent after one month. I still have an issue after one year + with quality of light and coral colors so I'm going to MH 250 HQI's. I'm using two T-5's, blue and actinic, for dawn to dusk since I have the bulbs.

Fahz
Old 07/11/2004, 12:41 AM
who?

Thats a bummer to hear. Our tank will be primarily a soft coral lagoon. So far the zoos we have are multiplying on a weekly basis and look pretty good. Did you only have the 2 bulbs? I would think that it wouldn't be enough wattage no matter which (t5) bulbs you used.

Old 07/11/2004, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

I would add two of the aquablue (60/40) bulbs.
Old 07/11/2004, 08:53 AM
Reef Addict

i have 2 70 inch VHO Super Atinics & the tank looks Awesome i have a lot of Coral groth when they are on most of my softies shed there skin & grow fast but i also have 250 MH.
my tank is 30 inch deep that is why i went with VHO.
Old 07/11/2004, 11:33 AM
who?

Tomz - why the 60/40 ? As I understand it these are a combination between blue+ and daylight. Basically what I want to know is will the actinics work well enough at flourescing corals to purchase them over just sticking with what I have (blue+ and daylight) which only slightly floureses the corals?

Old 07/11/2004, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mothra
Tomz - why the 60/40 ? As I understand it these are a combination between blue+ and daylight. Basically what I want to know is will the actinics work well enough at flourescing corals to purchase them over just sticking with what I have (blue+ and daylight) which only slightly floureses the corals?
When I started with T-5's you couldn't get a clear answer from any one on what kind of bulb combination to use. I started with 4 bulbs 39W on an Icecap 660 ballast overdriven and one on a Triad nornal drive. Two 60/40, one sun, one actinic on the 660 and one actinic on Triad ballast. According to Icecap I was getting 290 watts of power total from the five bulbs. This was on an Oceanic 58 RR.

To answer your question if your adding an additional bulb to what you have go ahead but don't waste you time or money replacing a bulb you now have. The Actinic isn't going to give you much more flourescing and no softie growth. It is not the same kind of bulb as a VHO as far as I'm concerned.

Fahz
Old 07/11/2004, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Fahz. I like my T-5's for their intensity but I miss the flourescence that I used to get from my VHO's. I started with 2 suns, 2 aquas, 2 blue plus and 2 actinics. I replaced my 2 suns with 2 aquas because it looked too yellow for my eyes. IMO the actinics don't do much and they are very dim compared to the other bulbs. Adding two more blue plus might be a little to much blue so I suggested the aquas (60/40) for a little more blue with some added punch.
Old 07/11/2004, 02:06 PM
who?

Thanks Fahz. I think I might try this combination out and see how it looks/works.

sun
blue+
sun
actinic
sun
blue+

Old 07/11/2004, 03:37 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I run 2 blues, 2 aquablues, 1 actinic and 1 sun and love the color. The actinics actually seem to perform better after they have been running a while. Mine are overdriven 80 watt lamps so the coloring isn't quite the same as 54 watt systems if you have blue plus instead of blue lamps. Adding an actinic and a aquablue may be a little on the blue side but if thats the case you could always swap out the aqua blue with a sun and keep the aqua for a spare bulb.

I
Old 07/11/2004, 04:13 PM
S. Gigantea junky

The blue +'s fluoresce better and promote better growth than the VHO super 03 IMO, because of the intensity and brightness. The T5 actinics are just not very good.
Old 07/11/2004, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

i'm very happy with my current combo ... 4 blue +, 1 sun, 1 aqua, and a 250 DE 13K.

earlier in the day, for a dawn effect, i have just 2 blue +, 1 sun, and 1 aqua running. I really like this combo of T5 only, comes out very white with a nice amount of "glow" from my corals.

at night i run the 4 blue + then down to two ... its super blue, but looks pretty cool as a dusk effect.
Old 07/11/2004, 04:52 PM
who?

Ok well maybe I'll forget the actinics and try the aquas instead. Thanks for everyone's input I'll get some pics when it's all set up.

Old 07/11/2004, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R33f3r
The blue +'s fluoresce better and promote better growth than the VHO super 03 IMO, because of the intensity and brightness. The T5 actinics are just not very good.
It has taken a long time for people to come around to my way of thinking that Actinics in T-5's leave something to be desired. I have tried to offer my best opinion from real experience but people don't listen. I agree T-5's in the blue + look good and do the job.

Fahz
Old 07/11/2004, 10:36 PM
S. Gigantea junky

Quote:
Originally posted by fahz
It has taken a long time for people to come around to my way of thinking that Actinics in T-5's leave something to be desired. I have tried to offer my best opinion from real experience but people don't listen. I agree T-5's in the blue + look good and do the job.

Fahz
I guess we all have to experience it