Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Question newbee!

okay, i am very new! the last time i had anything close to what i want my mom took care of it, and it was fresh. now, i want to go to a salt tank about 55 galons. what filtration systems work, what calicum skimmers work, circurlators work, good beeding for coral, lights, heaters, locations in the house, chemastri kits, and idea of fish.

please help. i want to get into good stuff, but am not a profeshional!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:01 PM
Team RC Member

Read, Read, Read.
Study Waterkeeper's sticky post for first timers at the top of this forum for starters.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1031074
Old 01/10/2008, 02:33 AM
Premium Member

Like AZDesertRat said...read...a lot. Post as many questions as you can think of and most people would be more than happy to answer them!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

this is a very good thread for u to read aswell

click me!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

The most important thing is to read BEFORE you make any decisions about your tank. Fixing problems is not as easy as preventing problems.

~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

thank you for your fast and informative feed back, but i would like to know reliable brands of equipment!
thanks,
ron
Old 01/10/2008, 08:00 PM
Team RC Member

I'm a 54g bowfront wedge, and I have my equipment ID'ed, except I just switched to a DIY kalk reactor. The huge pump is because I have a basement sump. I used to use a mag 9.5.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Powerheads- Tunze

Filters ( depends ) but if you can sump/fuge

heaters- always go with 2, just incase one fails

Lights- depends on type of coral but I like MH ( metal halide ) with T5's

Location-were ever you life

Thats all I can help with you now, but like everyone else had said, the best to do right away is reading..
Old 01/10/2008, 08:40 PM
Team RC Member

You will get lots of opinions and most will be different. Fortunately there are very few completely wrong answers or completely bad pieces of equipment.
When asking for information or opinions, take a look at RC members profiles to get an idea of how long they have been in the hobby, what kind of system they have, what they keep in their system etc. You will get old timers who answer from years of experience and you will get youngsters with little to no experience. Consider the source before you call it gospel.

With equipment, there is no single right answer. They way I run my system is different from they way my neighbor runs his. Neither is right or wrong and both work successfully. Like said before you need to do a lot of research before buying. One thing you can do to help people answer your questions is to determine how large of a system you intend to buy, what do you plan to keep in it, fish only, fish with live rock, soft coral, hard corals, a mixture???? Each is set up differently both in filtration and in lighting requirements. Do you want a bare bottom system, decorative sand bottom or a functioning deep sand bed? You need to read about each method since they are very different.

Don't get in a hurry and don't let a local fish store sell you a package deal with tons of equipment, inhabitants and additives you will not want or need . Study each purchase beforehand and buy wisely. Often buying used is a good way to start out to see if you even like the hobby. It can be very rewarding but it can also be very frustrating if you do not take your time and plan things out.

Remember this piece of advice: Only bad things happen quickly, good things always take time. This is especially true with the reef hobby and I can tell you its definitely worth the time and effort.
And WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL !!!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

To Reef Central

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Read, Read, Read.
Study Waterkeeper's sticky post for first timers at the top of this forum for starters.
I agree Waterkeeper's sticky posts and Reefkeeping magazine are great places to start.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat

Don't get in a hurry and don't let a local fish store sell you a package deal with tons of equipment, inhabitants and additives you will not want or need . Study each purchase beforehand and buy wisely. Often buying used is a good way to start out to see if you even like the hobby. It can be very rewarding but it can also be very frustrating if you do not take your time and plan things out.

Yup - LFSs like to sell stuff, whatever they have in stock that week is the best