Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2007, 04:53 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
MHannon's new 90 gallon setup

Alright, this thread is about the set-up of my new 90 gallon tank. I currently have a 30 gallon that is over crowded with corals. This tank was very successful, I managed to have a sebae anemone nearly quadruple in size, and have a deresa clam grow from 3 inches to 7 inches. This was my first SW tank and was setup 3 years ago for my birthday. The tank was very low tech and had to be cheap to set up because my parents were funding it and were not sure if I would stay with the hobby. Now, I have saved up enough money to get the tank I really want, so now it is happening.

Before I get into the real posting and pictures, I would first like to thank you guys on RC for helping me do my research, Mr. Ron at Home Depot for putting up with my shenanigans in the plumbing department, Carleen for her infinite knowledge at the LFS, Mr. Keen for building an awesome custom stand, Greg at reefgeek for the superb customer support, and especially my parents and grand parents for funding and putting up with my addiction, and DAD for helping with the plumbing, drilling, screwing, nailing, bolting, sanding, gluing, hammering, etc...........
Old 03/09/2007, 04:57 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some pictures of the old tank
[IMG][/IMG]

Officer, that is not a yellow tang, it is merely a guppy in disguise

He was on sale and I figured a couple weeks in the 30 was ok until I could move him.

The current equipment list includes a Penguin bio wheel filter without the bio wheel, ebo Jager heater, Remora skimmer, 192 watt coralife aqua lunar light, and 2 maxi jet 1200s.

Last edited by MHannon; 03/09/2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03/09/2007, 05:06 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I will post pictures of the new tank in a few minutes
Old 03/09/2007, 05:07 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03/09/2007, 05:39 PM
Charleston Reefer

wow i'm doing the same upgrade. I'm upgrading from a 30g with 10g fuge to a 90g with 10g fuge and 30g sump.

I will be taggin along!!
Old 03/09/2007, 06:28 PM
FOWLR

You made a good choice.. the 90g aga rr are a great value.
Old 03/09/2007, 06:48 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments
Old 03/09/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

is that a SLS tex fixture? If so, can you ballpark the dimensions of the triangly trim thing along the side? How far does it go past the housing for the bulbs? and what are the dimensions of the base?
Old 03/09/2007, 06:53 PM
Always Learning

Looks like the start to a beautiful tank.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 03/09/2007, 07:03 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the info on the new tank,

Custom stand (extra tall, so you don't have to bend over) Thanks Mr. Keen!
[IMG][/IMG]

sequence Dart (3600 gph.) on closed loop manifold.
[IMG][/IMG]

Closed loop intake (not done yet, It will be painted black)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03/09/2007, 07:16 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

The lights are a 48 inch, 6bulb, 54 watt TEK T-5 fixture from Sunlight Supply (I ordered from reefgeek)
[IMG][/IMG]

pic of bulbs
[IMG][/IMG]

Day lights
[IMG][/IMG]

Dusk/Dawn (actinics)
[IMG][/IMG]

All lights on
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03/09/2007, 07:25 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Holes drilled in bottom of stand for the overflow and return lines from the 75 gallon sump in the basement.
[IMG][/IMG]

sump in the basement
[IMG][/IMG]

I had an electrician run a 20 amp dedicated circut to the tank, installed on the celling.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also installed a power bar with switches, hanging from the celling above the tank
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MHannon; 03/09/2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03/09/2007, 07:34 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Equipment in the sump, The left is where the overflow and skimmer are, The middle will be a refugium, Right is heater and return.

ASM G-3 with gate valve mod
[IMG][/IMG]

Rena Filstar XP-3 canister filter
[IMG][/IMG]

MAG-12 return and Ebo Jager heater
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03/09/2007, 08:45 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have a little pluming to do, also waiting for a couple special order check valves and loc-line to be delivered. I hope to have water in it within the next week.
Old 03/09/2007, 09:13 PM
Reef Crazy

Fantastic Job!!! Welcome to the 90g club! Looks very well thought out. I just converted from a 38g to my new 90g myself.

Please let me know how you like the canister filter. I used to have a hang-on filter in my 38g and loved it for polishing the water and for running carbon. With my new 90g and closed loop, I don't have room on the back to hang a filter. I thought about one of the canister filters like you have there. Are you going to plumb it into the main tank or the sump?

Dan
Old 03/09/2007, 09:18 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

The filter will draw from the overflow in the sump, bypass the refugium, and empty into the return chamber, and get pumped back into the tank.
Old 03/10/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the 90's club.
Looks like a great start. I got a AGA 75g for asump too and I love the size. I think it's the perfect match as long as you have space.
Hurry up and get it done and post a pic on this thread, http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=960605 cuz rockfish season will be here soon.
Old 03/10/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

What is the point of this gate valve mod i keep hearing about?
Old 03/10/2007, 12:56 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of puting your hand into the tank and geting wet to adjust the outlet tube on the skimmer (which sets the water height in the skimmer) you can just turn the valve and that sets the water height more easily and a lot more accuratly with no wet hands.
Old 03/10/2007, 02:42 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to home depot tomorrow to pick up the last of the plumbing parts.
Old 03/10/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MHannon
I'm going to home depot tomorrow to pick up the last of the plumbing parts.
You think it's the last of the parts...muhahahahahahahaa...
lol I don't know how many times I said I think I got it all till I ran into something I needed....1am and 5 hours into the job...lol.
Old 03/10/2007, 06:47 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it, this will be my 5th run to the hardware store.

Then, in two years this tank will be overcrowded and I will have an excuse to get the 210 gallon, and might as well get a job at home depot for the 10% off
Old 03/11/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

two year...I think I'm on the same schedule...just gotta convince my better half....yhea right, wish me luck with that. lol

What kinda media are you gonna be running in that filstar?
Old 03/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

For media in the Filstar, First it goes through 3 layers of foam that progressivly gets smaller, ceramic rings (biological), then bio-chem zorb, phos zorb, and carbon

I went to home depot tonight, I got most of the things I need, I'm still waiting for the check valves I ordered on line, I also need to go back to home depot with the truck because the 10 feet of PVC will not fit in the car.
Old 06/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I have been in that room with that fine piece of aquarium. Let me say, its a beast. It looks great with live rock and everything set up. Good job mike. Maybe one day I can have a tank like yours