Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Xenia taking over!

I made the mistake of leaving a frag of pink xenias on a rock at the bottom of my tank. I finally removed them and put them on the sand, but it left behind two new piles of growth. So my question is: What do I do to get rid of them? I have heard that making a paste of Kalk and rubbing that on them will kills them but I have a 14 gal. tank and I wonder if that will affect it too much. I also have thought that taking the rock out of the tank and scrubbing the xenia off might do the trick too.

I tried to peel them off with a razor blade in the tank but ended up cutting them and I don't think that is healthy for the tank either.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I can't grow xenias, even if my life depend it on it!! I've tried 3 times and the 3 times they all died within days.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

are you trying to peel them off after the light has been off for a while? They are easier to remove when they are closed up. I can usually peel them with my fingernails from the base.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minispider
I can't grow xenias, even if my life depend it on it!! I've tried 3 times and the 3 times they all died within days.
Really? They are one of the easiest to grow corals out there. Once they start they grow like weeds. What are your parameters like?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I find keeping xenia in check is quit easy.
It's the darn rhodactis mushrooms that are taking over that drive me nuts.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Remove carbon from filters to grow xenia.

10glNano
Old 01/07/2008, 11:33 AM
NGC 4414 [60million ly]

on a different note - turn your excess xenia into $$ or trade. put rubble in the direction of growth and cut away with a razor once its on. trade w/other reef keepers or your LFS for other stuff. works well with GSP and other "weed" corals
Old 01/07/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Abso
Really?
I run carbon 24/7 in an HOB to keep the water crystal clear.
My xenia never grows like crazy.Might add a few extra stalk every 3 weeks or so.The stuff rarely pulses and extends extremely long.
I might try that for a little while.
I have a condylactis anenome that put a hurt on some of the stalks I had growing.

CA. 500
Alk 10 DKH
Mg. 1550
SG 1.025

I've never registered nitrates in this tank.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefworm
on a different note - turn your excess xenia into $$ or trade. put rubble in the direction of growth and cut away with a razor once its on. trade w/other reef keepers or your LFS for other stuff. works well with GSP and other "weed" corals
They give that stuff away in my area.
But sometimes trading is possible.
I hear that xenia is great for nutrient export.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

minispider - IME Xenia needs water that is a little "dirty". If you remove that carbon and let the water build with some nutrients you may have better luck.

smarttang - dsn112 is right. They are real easy to peel off with your fingernails, but be ready for the stench. I can smell up a room real quick when I do that. The whole family curses me everytime.

My LFS takes them off of my hands at $5 each (I know its dirt cheap) But I was flushing them before that. My last delivery was 32 frags. I made out like a bandit. Well they did too....they sell them for $15.99 each. But I am happy and he is happy.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

And if they get out of control get a condy.
It will wipe your LR clean.lol
Old 01/07/2008, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

When you finally get sick of your xenia (and you will) dose your tank with Fluke Tabs. Do it exactly according to the instructions. It will wipe out the xenia. Have water on hand to do a water change afterwards.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

So I guess my water is a little "dirty" since they are growing?

I am going to try turning the lights off and peeling them off the rock after they close. But my other questions is this: will they end up growing in that same spot even after I scrape them off? And since I am going to try and do this in the tank without removing the rock will the xenia release any toxins? And will they release little xenia particles that will settle somewhere else and grow new xenias? I plan on having two gallons of water ready for a water change after I do this.

It is funny to read the different feelings on the xenia. Some people love it and some people hate it. I think it is really pretty, but I just wanted it to stay on its small frag rock and not grow over to the live rock.
Thanks for the comments!
Old 01/08/2008, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Abso
I guess every situation can be different. I run carbon 24/7 in an HOB on my sump, and my xenia is thriving.