Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

55g to 120g upgrade - A peninsula build

Well, I actually have been working on this for a couple of weeks and planned it out weeks beyond that. My 55 gallon is still running and I plan on taking this upgrade slowly. I have the 120 gallon tank in possession and have started to build the stand. I will start with a quick drawing of my initial plans and then guide you step by step on everything I have done so far. Comments or recommendations welcome but I can not promise I will follow them or agree with you. The tank will actually face the wall for now but I wanted to make it a peninsula just in case I ever wanted it somewhere else as a room divider. I plan on having this tank a long time and not looking to touch it once it is complete to my likings.

Here is my current 55. This cabinet was sort of half-assed and not my best work. It was rushed and I just wanted something half decent. It was also built for about $130. It has served me about 2 1/2 years.

Here was the initial plan/drawing for the new 120. Some things have changed from here such as going over the top with the returns. I also drilled 1 3/4" bulkhead in for a quick way to drain water for a water change and to put in a closed loop if I feel like it also going over the top with them.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

On to the build. Here is a picture of the main frame I put together. It is about 63 inches long. This will allow it to accomodate the 4 foot tank along with an extra foot to hide all my electric, 10gallon top off, etc.. This is the only way I could think of doing the peninsula.

Notice the 2x6. Maybe over kill since it is only a 4 foot long tank but since I am not going to use a center brace, I decided to go with them. All of these headers rest directly on the 2x4's so the weight will transfer directly to the ground. This is a much better plan then having the weight rest on bolts instead. On the bottom, I did put in 2x4's at ever 16 inches. On top of this went a 1/2 sheet of plywood to hold the 55 gallon sump. This should easily be able to support the weight of the sump.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

For the top canopy, since it is not going to be weight bearing, I went with 1x2's for the frame. Here is a pic below on the tank. I plan on having a pull out drawer for the lights. I will install 6x54w t5's for lighting. I will have room to add 2 more if I feel it is necessary but highly doubt it. The lights will sit 4 1/2's above the water and will have two fans blowing air across them.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

On to the Tank!

Now that the basic frame is out of the way, its time to pay attention to the tank. I got all the glass I needed for baffles and an overflow cut at a local glass shop for $40 total. I siliconed the overflow together and it is shown below already completed. I got a tube of aquarium safe silicone at walmart for about $4. Anyway, I used this overflow to judge where I want my 1.5" bulkheads to go.

Once I figured and measured everything out, it was time to drill the tank. I got a set of 3 diamond hole saws on ebay for $20 shipped. The sizes I got were for 3/4, 1, 1.5". I was a little nervous doing this for the first time but figured if it broke, I was out $200 on the used tank and learned a big lesson, it wouldn't be the end of the world. You can't learn if you don't try! Here is a pic of the progress below. I used plumbers putty for the damn and let the drill do the work. It was so easy that I will never be nervous about drilling glass again.

the hole was about halfway done here.

And below is the finished product with all three bulkheads installed:
Old 01/04/2008, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Back to the tank itself. I know I am going to need a lot more sand for this tank so I started looking to local reefers. I only used play sand from home depot on my 55 and feel it has caused me some problems with algae so I decided to try and get the good stuff. I came across about 140lbs of caribsea arogonite special grade reef sand. Thanks fishtri. There was nothing of value in this sand and it needed to be washed so I soaked it in a bleach/water solution for a few hours and rinsed it. It still has a faint smell of chlorine even after it is dry so I am going to rinse it again and add some dechloronator just to make sure. This should get it ready to go when I am about to get the tank up. Here it is after being rinsed:

Old 01/04/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Moving along quickly

Well, this is where I stand so far today. Here is a shot of the cabinet with the plywood attached to the frame. Here I used 1/4 inch natural birchwood sheets. It took me four sheets @ $20 each. I wanted to get something nice. I still need to make so minor adjustments but everything pieces together nicely. This stand will be able to pull apart in three pieces for ease of movement. I am also putting in quick disconnects at the cannopy for the lights and the extra outlet in there in case I want to plug in equipment down at that far end. Here is a full stand shot:

In this shot below, you can see the canopy without the door in place. Doors will swing out on both sides for access to the top of the tank.

Also, I added in a light rack so I can change the bulbs easily or just simply remove the lights from the canopy in case I want to do some work in the tank without removing the top:
Old 01/04/2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Here is a shot of the side compartment with access to the plumbing and electric:

Here you can see the electric. I only rough plumbed everything so far but here is a pic of that.

Thats it for now, I'll try and keep this updated.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:43 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Your a perfect fit to join our club!!!!
Click on the little read house and check out or web site.

Very nice system.

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/07/2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Looks nice so far, tagging along to see the finished product.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Just a question as I plan on doing something similar but wouldnt you want the intakes facing up so you could get the surface skum (for lack of a better term).
Old 01/07/2008, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

If you look on the 5th picture from the top, you will see and overflow box that I made. Once I silicone it in, it will allow me to keep the water level constant and skim the surface. I wasn't sure about going without and overflow box and turning the intakes up because a durso pipe is the only way I know how to keep an overflow like this quiet unless someone else has some better recommendations.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Making some progress

Its coming along, slowly but coming along. I am devoting whatever time I have available and taking my time to get it right. Here is an updated pic. Its all wood puttied up, painted inside the base and I started on the trim. I also painted the light rack white but its not pictured here.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

peninsula set ups are the ish!

Matt.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

very nice build so far.

and excellent choice on the sump/refuge design. I made one of those for my sister this christmas. Now I just have to make her upgrade from her 29 to her 60 so she will actually use the thing!!!! a little hard to do from ~2000 miles away.