Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Cyclo-peeze - How do you feed it?

I just bought some - didn't know it came in a powder form. How do you guys feed it? Do you just throw it into the water column? Do you dilute it in some water before throwing it into the tank?

Thanks
Old 12/31/2007, 12:59 PM
Team RC Member

Soak just a little bit in a cup of tank water for several minutes before adding it. A little bit goes a long way.
I prefer the frozen "FreezerBar" version myself, its easier to use in my mind. It comes in a foil wrapper like a candy bar so I just push itout the end a bit and wave it in the water column a few times. Coral, inverts and fish go nuts for the stuff.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I think frozen cyclopese in the bar form is probably the best food available (in my opinion).
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 12/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

I soak it in Selcon first then use a turkey baster to target feed.

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Cool. didn't know it came frozen. I'll order that the next time around.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

I usually feed cyclopeeze at dusk---the point where just my attinics are on for an hour. I turn off the main pump and skimmer for about one hour. Then I feed the cyclopeeze--but keeping the korilias on for circulation within the tank.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Soak just a little bit in a cup of tank water for several minutes before adding it. A little bit goes a long way.
I prefer the frozen "FreezerBar" version myself, its easier to use in my mind. It comes in a foil wrapper like a candy bar so I just push itout the end a bit and wave it in the water column a few times. Coral, inverts and fish go nuts for the stuff.
thanks for the tips AZ--sometimes I just cut a piece off and send it through the return pump and lines but this sounds like a better idea

Is the granular cyclopeeze as good as the freezerbar?
Old 12/31/2007, 01:17 PM
Team RC Member

I prefer the Freezerbar. I don't think the inhabitants care either way! Watching the polyp extension on SPS and LPS is amazing when there is some Cyclopeeze in the water!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

yea, corals really do go absolutely nuts for cyclopese. I do find that the powdered stuff tends to float while the frozen does not.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 12/31/2007, 01:28 PM
Team RC Member

Soaking it helps.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PogoMonogo
yea, corals really do go absolutely nuts for cyclopese. I do find that the powdered stuff tends to float while the frozen does not.
Yes, I put a pinch in my tank last night, and most of it floated....but my fish went crazy for it and picked it off the top. I'll try soaking it first from now on.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Like i said in your other post, go to CVS or something and ask if they have a dosing syringe you can have. Its like a 10ml plastic syringe (no needle). Use that and actually target feed. The floating won't be as much of an issue then, and its a lot more efficient.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 12/31/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

No worries about the syringe. I work in a pharmacy!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

I let mine melt in my fingers in the water.

I shut off the return pump so the corals get all of it.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Soaking it helps.
I've always shut the return pump off, protein skimmer and micron sock---do you do this also?

also if I introduce the granular stuff through my sulmp pump it travels up 7 feet of head and then is forced to the bottom of the tank through the loc lines--this helps to see it doesn't float.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:55 PM
Team RC Member

I just let it circulate. I won't use a filter sock on any of my systems, I think they are detrimental since they trap good as well as bad stuff. I have no sponges, socks or srceens other than what normally comes on a powerhead or pump. No maintenance that way and no nitrates because I forgot to clean something.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

My SPS really love it.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I just let it circulate. I won't use a filter sock on any of my systems, I think they are detrimental since they trap good as well as bad stuff. I have no sponges, socks or srceens other than what normally comes on a powerhead or pump. No maintenance that way and no nitrates because I forgot to clean something.
I hear you--I've tried to experiment with leaving the sock off--can go about two weeks then I start to get cyano back in the fuge and on the substrate in the main tank. What kind of skimmer are you running. I'm am thinking the flow through the sump can't be handled effectively by the Berlin and am considering running another mangrove refugium instead of the sock to help that weak Berlin.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:22 PM
Team RC Member

I use a Turboflotor 1000 in sump model with an OR 2700 recirc pump and fed by a MJ900 powerhead. Nothing special. Lots of chaeto and a couple of mangroves in the refugium.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

thanks--I'll try feeding with the filter sock off