Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

New MH light question

Santa was good to me this year, I got a 250w Lumenarc Stealth. My question is when I switch out my Orbit PC light (192 w) are all my corals going to freak out? I have a 65 gal 36 x 18 x 24mixed reef of LPS and some zoos and a couple of Monti caps.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 12/27/2007, 01:29 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

The amount of wattage isn't that far apart but if you can raise the new halide up a few inchs and then gradually bring it down over the course of a couple weeks you may avoid a light shock to the corals. Also, using a couple layers of window screen over the tank will work removing a layer every few days.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/27/2007, 01:41 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Although wattage is similar, take extra precautions because now your bulb is almost 3 times as powerful as your PCs.

Now, do as Engine said. Raise the light, egg crate or similar to knock the light down a little. The corals will let you know if they want more light. I'd start by taking the egg crate off. Then over more time, start to lower the light.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/27/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

How high up should I start off the water and how high should I eventually end up?
Old 12/27/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I too agree w/ Engine. If you can, raise the light 16-18 in off the water. Its kind of high, but you dont want to burn out your corals, esepcially the monti's. Depending on where they are in your tank, you may need to eventually move them. My bulbs are 10" off the water w/ the L3 shields. Not sure of the spread of light on the stealths, but it should be somewhat similar.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:12 PM
CMAS Member

18" seems a little excessive in my opinion. Take this for what it is worth, but I would personally start around 10" from the top of the water and lower an inch or two per week until you are happy.

-=E=-
Old 12/27/2007, 05:50 PM
Tank Collector

Stupid question (im full of them...) but does your 65g have a center brace in the middle of it ??? My old AGA one did, thats why I ask...

If so, one halide isnt going to be a great setup for it IMO.... Now if it doesnt and youre trying to get 3 feet of spread from one bulb, you may have to be 12 or more inches off the water anyways, in which case I would just use some screen or something to knock down the light some like was suggested earlier...
Old 12/28/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

It does have a center brace. I wanted to upgrade and this is part of the long term plan to set up the 120 I have. When I have collected enough equipment to set that up I will get another one. Had to try and spread out the costs and I don't want to have this light just sitting around until I am ready, so I will see what happens.

Thanks.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
The amount of wattage isn't that far apart but if you can raise the new halide up a few inchs and then gradually bring it down over the course of a couple weeks you may avoid a light shock to the corals. Also, using a couple layers of window screen over the tank will work removing a layer every few days.
it is much simpler to just use the screen method. the problem with raising and lowering the fixture is that air does not absorb uv all that much like water dose, the only advantage you will get is you will have some light spilling outside the tank..

i am surprised no one mentioned not to add or change carbon while or just before aclimating to a more intense light