Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

What do you use to dip your LR when you get it?

Short version...I have euncid worms and I keep finding gorilla crabs. I'm looking to strip the tank down and do my best to get rid of all the bad hikers.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to dip or soak the rock into without killing off enough that will start another cycle.

Any suggestions?
Old 12/19/2007, 05:25 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

You sure you have euncid worms? Very uncommon..... Sure they aren't just regular old bristleworms?

Anyways... first off.... I'd start looking for a new source of liverock. Then, find somebody with a fish only tank (or somebody starting one) and sell them your liverock. A gorilla crab would be a tasty snack for a big trigger! Then, with your new found live rock distributor, re-stock your tank.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

The rock was from an established tank. I have a small hole in a part of my corraline algea on my live rock. From that hole are three tenticles that are black and white striped. It looks exactly like the things on this critter.

It looks as though a couple of my corals have been chewed on. I have completely lost 4 fish now (2 neons gobies, one hectors, and one starry blennie). Not dead...lost. Completely gone. They are not really known for carpet surfing. Possible, but all four in a month? I've also lost an emerald and found three additional gorillas dead. There is a white mucus like covering inside on of my other pieces of LR.

Based on the other thread...that is just a guess. I'm no worm expert. I have a bunch of bristles as well, but I'm not concerned with them. I should have dipped the rock in the beginning, but it was good source. I have every intention of saving everything I find and throwing it on here for id purposes, then possibly give-aways and swaps.

The tank has been established for two years. The new rock went in about 3 months ago.

Last edited by JJ4417; 12/19/2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

I had a eunacid worm also, i finally got it out it was like 10 inches long, ugly thing, i can't remember what i used it was magnesium something but i'm not sure of the name. It worked like a champ you can always keep the rock in plain freshwater and wait for the worms to come out. you would need to recycle the rock after that. good luck. it took me a month to finally get mine
Old 12/20/2007, 01:16 AM
RC Mod

I can't think of anything that'd kill the worms and crabs reliably and not require another cycle. I'd probably try trapping the worms and crabs, and working from there. Eunicid worms can be hard to catch.