Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

my tang has HLLE, Help!

my purple tang has a case of HLLE. I understand that this is caused either by diet deficiencies or poor water quality. In this case I think it is diet related. My water is good. Nitrates never exceed 5, ph is always around 8.4, no measurable phosphates, ammmonia or nitrite. I dose with B-Ionic and my Kh and CA are fine. I test with Salifert so I'm confident in the results.

I feed frozen mysis and krill for the most part. I have caulerpa in the sump that I feed on occasion. What should I feed to help my tang look better? Would garlic help?
Old 12/07/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Tangs are herbivores. garlic will help. try more veggies like dried seaweed, some say romaine lettuce but I dont use it. I buy sheets of nori and seaweed from the local fish store....
Old 12/07/2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

My tangs love the seaweed from the asin section of walmart.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Try looking up ground probes. Not having one is known to cause it also. Most likely it is stress and poor diet. And stress I mean is somewhere I read that if you have stray votage in the tank, it is like sitting next to a jet engine all day to a fish.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

You need to start feeding it seaweed sheets. To help with the HLLE I would soak its food in Selcon

https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar...an_marine.html
Old 12/07/2007, 10:20 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

SELCON!!!!
Any food you feed it, soak in it selcon first.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I agree. I bought a YT with HLLE to prove I could fix it (and I got a discount). The first place that I went was the local Asian market to get a couple packages of roasted nori. Costs maybe $4 for a dozen sheets. I cut them up into 4"x4" squares and clip one in my aquarium every morning before I head to work. I now have a BT and YT and they love it. Even my False Percs and BG Chromis get into the action.

Your tang probably won't recognize it right away. Put the sheet in your tank about midway through the photo period. When the lights turn out, remove the sheet and try again the next day. Sooner or later he'll get curious and figure out that it tastes great! You will notice that he'll poop a lot more but there isn't a lot of nutritional value there to pollute your tank. My hermits would eat it anyways.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice. I am going to get some nori and give it a go.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

steamed broccoli works too. They love that stuff