Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

differences of sump and refugium?

What exactly are the differences of a sump and a refugium? At the moment I have niether but I am planning on adding what I would call a refugium. I have a 30 gallon tank with a hob skimmer, I have live rock and sand. I plan to put a 10 gallon for now and later another 30 gallon tank under my 30 gallon display. In that I plan on putting sand, rock, from what I read some cheato algae, and I was thinking maybe some sea horses? Do I need a sump? what suggestions does anyone have for me?
Old 12/03/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

A sump is used as a filter for all the trash in your tank. But, you have a HOB so it's not needed. The refug is to house copepods and shrimp that make there way to your tank and have a place to grow and reproduce without the threat of getting eaten. They will, when you get enough of them, make there way to the main tank and become food for your fish. I would say get the 10, put 2" of sand in it and some LR rubble and some chato with a light on 24/7 and you will be good. The refug with the light on all the time will also stable out your ph drops at night.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

I dont think I have any copepods, I think I saw one once, where could I get more to add to my refugium?
Old 12/03/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

You can order them online and seed your refugium. Or, when you get it setup, go to your lfs and get some rubble that has been in there tanks and I assure you that you will get all that you need in a couple months.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

And seahorses? good or bad idea? in my refuge.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

The flow required in the fuge for the chato is a little strong for them. But, if you have a low enough flow in the fuge, you can.