Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Mixing salt initially w/o refractometer/hydrometer

I was wondering if it is possible to mix instant ocean salt mix into a tank full of RO/DI water ONLY without needing a refractometer/hydrometer at that moment. The reason why I'm asking this is that I'm trying to go by steps into buying stuff.

Right now what I have planned is filling my empty tank with freshwater, then buying salt mix and follow the instructions on the label to approximate the desired salinty w/o actually knowing what it is. I will let it mix with a powerhead and after 24hrs I will add the sand I bought into the tank. Since there is no livestock I don't see what the problem is if I bought the refractometer two or more weeks after I added the salt into the water.

Any inputs?

thanks
Old 11/14/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

IMO since you arent putting livestock in there right now I would say it's ok... Just make sure that your next purchase is a Refractometer...Forget Hydrometer just go with whats accurate...
Old 11/14/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Yeah for sure i'll buy a refractometer. Just want to know if I can postpone it after I add the salt
Old 11/14/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Gee,don't you want to be somewhat close on the SG?
Alot of salt mix directions give you a very low SG.
I mean,why not buy a cheap glass thermometer float type?
Are you going to heat the tank also?
I'm just thinking that you could start getting things moving with cycling.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:05 PM
Nano Reefer

Seeing as you're not adding any livestock/live rock, i see no issue with that. However, keep in mind that their guesstimate on how much to add per gallon seems to be way low.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

You will be fine using 1/2 cup salt per gallon to start with. You could add an extra 1/4 cup for every 10 gallons to get it closer to 35‰, but you don't have to. Just remember to leave room for the sand and any live rock you will be adding.

Also, when you get a refractometer, also get some calibration fluid (or you can make your own, but it is cheap enough to buy). If you use distilled water to calibrate, your readings will be a little higher than actual (e.g. 1.026 on the SG scale will actually be 1.023). The best thing about refractometers is that they read salinity, so you can aim for 35 ppt easily. Make sure you get an auto temperature correcting one (ATC).
Old 11/15/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I'm not saying this to be an a$$, but if the cost of a refactometer is holding you back when you are starting, perhaps this isn't the time to be starting this hobby. that's barely the tip of the iceberg of costs, even for a small setup.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

I wouldnt. If you have LR and you mix wrong you could kill some critters. Also affect cycling .