Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Will groups of 2-3 sexy shrimp and a peppermint shrimp get along?

Hello All,

We have an eight week NanoCube 28 that we hope to add some sexy shrimp to the tank.

Will groups of 2-3 sexy shrimp and a peppermint shrimp get along?

We stocked a peppermint shrimp to eat a couple of aptasias spotted in the tank: peppermint eliminated all visible in twenty-four hours. The peppermint shrimp is now the biggest personality in the tank: eating food directly from my hand and showing its mug every opportunity it can. I have read that both shrimp species are ‘peaceful’. We would like to now add the sexy shrimp, but were wondering if they and the peppermint would get along.

Do sexy shrimp bother any corals or invertabrates?

Any experiences shared would be much appreciated. Thank you. -Trey
Old 11/20/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I've never kept peppermint with sexy shrimp, but I have kept both at one time or another. I like shrimp and I kept my thor shrimp (sexy shrimp) with pederson's cleaners in a reef with zoos, rics and various native animone. They did great, they are small and that is my only concern with the pepperimt, if they want they could easily eat a thor shrimp, just don't know if they ever would want to.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Should be no problem.

I got a peppermint in my tank, along with 3 cleaners and 8 sexy shrimp. They all act as cleanup crews for what the mantis dowsn't eat.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Thanks philter4 and KhawMengLee.

KhawMengLee, do your different species of shrimp seem to somewhat interact or do they just ignore each other?

Thank you. -Trey
Old 11/21/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

The Sexy Shrimps kinda just congregate or go of into pairs at different times of the day.

The peppermint shrimp hides under one of my oysters(I thought it was a rock with a coral on it).

And the cleaner shrimps basically form into a pecking order and try to pinch food from everyone.

Basically they all mind their own business.

They are all fine so long as the peacock is well fed. LOL
Old 11/22/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

I agree should not be a problem , but keep an eye on them.
Old 11/24/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Great. Thanks KhawMengLee and mscarpena. -Trey
Old 11/25/2007, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

they all get along in my tank but the sexy shrimp does stress out my goniaporia
Old 11/25/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

That's good to know. Thanks Questionmarc. We were thinking about growing some pom pom xenia on the back wall: wonder if the sexy shrimp would stress the xenia? Thanks again. - Trey
Old 11/25/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

My Sexy shrimp do not bother my pom poms and have had no problem getting along with cleaner shrimp, gold banded coral shrimp, pistol shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, orange claw scissor shrimp, holthius shrimp, pederson shrimp, two other types of Periclimenes shrimp, Tozeuma ghost pipe shrimp and red fire shrimp.

I like shrimp.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Thank you iamwhatiam52. That's the kind of experience we were hoping to hear. Thank you. - Trey