Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member.

Everyone with 24/7 fuge lighting

I assume that most people have pods in there fuges. I used to do the normal daylight cycle, but I want to see if I can lower my nitrates a little more, so I'm going to try the 24/7 deal.
Does anyone have any issues with their pods living in a 24/7 lit tank?
My nitrates are at about 15ppm.
Old 10/26/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't suggest lighting 24/7. The macro needs some darkness to finish off the photo cycle.
Old 10/27/2007, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

i have mines 24/7. keeps the pH up where i can never keep them up before without it. i see lots and lots and LOTS of amphipods. i even see bristleworms crawling on the sandbed. no nitrates either.
Old 10/27/2007, 06:34 AM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by m1enbo1
i have mines 24/7. keeps the pH up where i can never keep them up before without it. i see lots and lots and LOTS of amphipods. i even see bristleworms crawling on the sandbed. no nitrates either.
that sounds good. What kind of macro do you have? Yea I'm a give it a shot. I have chaeto, I don't believe they need a dark period.
Old 10/27/2007, 06:56 AM
Killer of Giants

I use chaeto and have some grape caleurpa. grows a ton, tons of pods. I use a cheapo light from Home Depot and run it 24/7. pH is always 8.15-8.25.
Old 10/27/2007, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

I've been told to cut back on the lighting, my pH is way too hgh normally. 8.5-8.6.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

my ph is 8.3 and i keep only chaeto. no caulerpa for me. dont want them to nuke my tank
Old 11/02/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Although many have had success with 24-7, i too would recommend at least a moderate dark period. Give it at least 4 hrs darkness IMO (arbitrary number) and make sure the 4 hrs of darkness correspond to lights on time in the DT.

Maybe i'm wrong, but there's something to be said for the fact that these organisms (even simple macro-algae) evolved on a planet where there is roughly 12 hrs daylight and 12 hrs darkness.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

I run an Ecosystem fuge with cheato and 24/7 lights. My fuge literally is teeming with life! My params are perfect. I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

I run 24/7...with grape caleurpa (I've tried chaeto several times...and haven' thad much luck...and I know why...chaeto needs more flow than I have...it really needs to tumble..whereas I understand caleurpa can have slower flow in sump and do great...abeit a little dangerous (because it can pollute the tank by "going sexual" if it gets saturated with no new nitrates to continue pulling out (which is for me...uh, never)...but anyway, my pods...both amphi and cope...are just simply teeming. It keeps my ph up too. I really think the answer to this question depends on several factors....like how your ph does, what type of macroalgae, etc.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

I run 24/7 with caleurpa because of slower flow rates too. I have never had any problems.

Some things to keep in mind: Light= cellular respiration in green plants. It is a phase where plants are producing cellular "food" by absorbing from their outside environment. Dark= growth of plant by now using stored foods and releasing the byproducts of respiration. Growth also prompts "sexual" reproduction within the plant since it has plenty of stored food from the light cycle.

...something to think about.

125gal glass tank, dual overflows, RR
-120 lbs live sand
-150 lbs live rock
-Mud Refugium
-5 60" T5 HO