Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Looking kolorscape sand in OC

Hi everyone

I'm looking for this type of sand for my aquarium. Anyone know a place to get it? It's an aragonite sand for aquarium.

thanks

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:44 PM
Reefer

I don't think the Kolorscape sand is aragonite, but I may be mistaken. Hopefully, it is because I need 400-500 lbs. of aragonite.

Joyce
Old 10/19/2007, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

It's aragonite sand. I was reading JBNY bulit thread and he used that for his aquarium. It a fine sand and look very nice.

check out his thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=19

Old 10/19/2007, 06:34 PM
Reefer

Yes, I see where he stated it is aragonite and based on the fact that it is jbny, I am sure that his is aragonite. However, there are many other threads that state it is not:

"Kmart is probably your best bet but Kolorscape is NOT the same as southdown or oldcastle. I would never use Kolorscape in a display tank but that is just me. Look into before making your final decision. And before anybody says anything I am not saying you can’t use it I am just saying that I wouldn’t…"

and:

"Kolorscape sand is not aragonite like South Down was. It's silica sand. I used it in my old 40 breeder but I never liked the look and much prefer the way CaribSea aragonite looks (which is exactly the same as South Down used to look apparently). Also, I always seemed to have algae on my sand bed. Was that caused by the silica sand? Who knows."

However, others seem to find that it may be some type of aragonite:

"My Kolorscape is definately not silica. It disolved almost completely in some vinegar over a couple days. It looks very similar to caribsea of mixed sizes, like it's not graded to a specific size."

My thoughts are that different bags of Kolorscape may contain differing types of sand and it would be best to test it before you purchase it. It may depend on the location of packaging/shipping/warehousing, etc.

I've been pretty busy checking out aragonite sand availability, as I do need some again. A few years ago I brought over 3 or 4 pallets of Southdown sand (over 5 tons I think!) to S. California for the local reefers.

Hope this helps. I'd try to find out more about the Kolorscape and at least do the vinegar test before using it to verify that it has some aragonite.

Joyce
Old 10/19/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

hmm..his old tank is TOTM so I think he knows which sand is good for his new tank. I have bare bottom now but I'm upgrade to a bigger tank and want to try 1" sand bed just for the look.

Thanks for your input

Old 10/19/2007, 08:20 PM
Reefer

Yes, as I said I'm sure JBNY has aragonite.

My point was that different factories may package different products for different markets. Just because a bag of Kolorscape in New York is aragonite does not mean that one purchased in Calif. will also be aragonite.

Joyce
Old 10/26/2007, 10:10 AM
cnidarian vigilante

I just saw this thread. The other day I did retest the kolorscape sand in my tank and it does fizz when adding vinegar. Which is what aragonite is supposed to do. YMMV but if you can find it, it's only about $4 a bag so buy one and test it.