Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

will this work!?

I have a 75 gallon tank, want to make my own refugium, would a 20 long work for the sump or is that going to be too small? plz help
Old 10/19/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

i had that on my 75 gallon and it worked fine for me i had one side water came in then flow into skimmer then flow into refugium then bubble trap then return pump

one of those red house build people :dance:
Old 10/19/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Great. thanks. I was really just worried about the height in case of a power outage, if the sump would be tall enough to hold the excess water and not overflow, But I think it will be fine.
Old 10/19/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

yea give it a shot i had about 1 inch of water line that need to run into the sump and i never had a problem

one of those red house build people :dance:
Old 10/19/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

The sump water level will be something for you to test, it will probably be fine depending on your tank setup, but why a 20l? Is it because you have it handy or?
Old 10/19/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

yea i have it sitting in my garage, but what would you suggest? I am open to other options. right now I have an eshopps 100 but its too short in length to turn into a refugim, then I was going to build my own with acrylic, but I figured if the 20L could work I would just use that.
Old 10/19/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

If you hadn't purchased it yet, a 29g would be the same dimensions but a bit taller. But if you've already got one, it should be fine. Just a thought.
Old 10/19/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

yea i thought about that, but I thought it might be too tall. For maintenance and stuff because I'll put it under my stand and there would be only about 4-5 inches of room between the top of the tank and the stand. but that's prob enough room. I guess it would be better
to be too tall than too short right? we'll see. thank you
Old 10/19/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, it's a DIY sump, if you find it won't work it's easy to fix so start with the 20l for sure.
Old 10/19/2007, 03:55 PM
Moved On

I actually have a 20l as the sump on my 120g, I would have liked a larger one but I dont have the space. It works great and I dont have any over flow issues with it.