Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Prime chiller question

I'm going to order up the CurrentUSA prime chiller today - I know it needs a pump, but I have no idea what pump to get. Any suggestions? I'm using it in a 24g Aquapod and a rough guess is that I'll have about 8' of hoses (4' down, 4' back up).

Any ideas?
Old 09/13/2007, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

The chiller will be rated as to Gallons Per hour. My 1/3 hp recomends around 400 gph (best I can recall). You need to make sure your pump set up moves the ammt of water the chiller needs to run efficiently.
Old 09/13/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I see - the chiller I'm looking at has a min of 100 and max of 350. So I need to get a pump that handles that all the way through the loop, correct?

Dump question - if a pump says it does 780gph, but says "head height" of 10', does that mean that is the GPH at the max height? I don't think it is, but I'm trying to make sure.

Also, if my chiller is roughly 3' down from the aquarium, does that mean I'm looking to pump a total of 6'? (3' down, and 3' back up)? Or should I plan for just 3' of pumping since gravity pulls the other 3'?

I'm probably over complicating this.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I'm reading about pumps as I go - The mag 500 looks like the one. I can set it up as an inline pump and it pumps 350gph at 4'.

Stupid question time on that now. How the heck do I prime it? I'm assuming it won't just "suck" the water from the tank. I'm guessing I need to get a siphon started or something.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

If you are pumping from the tank down to the skimmer and back to the tank, you will have very little head. You are looking at like 1 ft of head.

The pump will tell you the flowrate at 0 head. It should also come with a chart that tells you the flowrate at 1ft, etc. I think the mag500 may be a little much. I would just run a maxijet powerhead....it will definitely be smaller and quieter.

Put the powerhead in the tank to pump the water out...then you won't have to prime it. If you use an external pump, then you will have to supply water to the pump via siphon to get it started.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Interesting - A power head will have enough power to pump water from the tank down to the floor and then back up to the tank? I'm all for that - just saved me some $$$.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Check That Fish Place for cheapest chiller prices. PM me if you want a 20% off coupon code.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Foster and Smith has the Prime Chiller on sale for $239 - that's why I've finally decided to buy it (well, on top of my 88 degree tank temperature).

I settled on the Rio 1400 for apump - I'll put it inside my tank (in the back of the aquapod). We'll see how that works. Hopefully good, cause I'm going broke on this darn hobby. :-P
Old 09/13/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Do yourself a favor and dont skimp on a cheap pump. You dont want a pump to fail in the middle of the night or while away at work. Your chiller will end up short cycling on and off and very possibly damaging your chillers compressor. Buy a reliable, durable pump. Dont just get the cheapest pump you can find.