Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

isp question

i kno its a little off topic but ive had bellsouth dsl for as long as ive had a pc but im actually looking to switch possibly to cable .... just wondering who everyone here is using,how much you pay,and if yur happy with them
Old 06/06/2007, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Why are you looking to make a switch?

I switched from cable to DSL, and I'm happy. The reason - in most parts of Weston you only have the option of Advanced Cable Comm for cable. I wasn't happy with their service and I used them for 3-4 years.
Old 06/06/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member.

I'm on DSL and its quick enough for me. My friend is using comcast cable and he says he likes it. I've thought about switching, but it seems like a hassle. If it works, stick with it.
Old 06/06/2007, 09:15 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Talking

Comcast cable for me.It works very well no problems so far.
Old 06/06/2007, 09:23 AM
I need your Aptaisias!

I had Bellsouth for a few years, then switched to Comcast and 2 weeks ago switched back to Bell South. A few days ago, it started to get real flakey, if it doesn't get any better I'll switch back to Comcast.
Bell South is like $ 43.00 for 6Mb. Comcast $ 62.00
Old 06/06/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

DSL Xtreme 6.0 here...
Old 06/06/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

the only reason ive been considering switching is cause with dsl you need a phone line hooked up wich i feel is a waste since i dont even have a phone plugged into the line since all i get is telemarketers and my friends and family just call my cell... i figured i may be able to find a cheaper deal by skipping out on the phone line .... maybe i was wrong though wich is why im looking for opinions
Old 06/06/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Good idea, just compare the cost of the phone line you pay per month to the cost of adding internet service to your cable bill.

I have cable FWIW.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by illal
the only reason ive been considering switching is cause with dsl you need a phone line hooked up wich i feel is a waste since i dont even have a phone plugged into the line since all i get is telemarketers and my friends and family just call my cell... i figured i may be able to find a cheaper deal by skipping out on the phone line .... maybe i was wrong though wich is why im looking for opinions
I feel the same way, but my house has an alarm system and it works through the phone line... I think. lol

But either way I live in a gated community so a home phone line is needed, I wouldn't want the gates to be calling me at all times of the day to let in a few people.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Both cable and DSL service providers commonly employ bandwidth / speed caps for residential customers. Bandwidth caps place an artificial limit on the maximum speed a customer can achieve by monitoring their individual traffic flow and throttling network packets if necessary. Bandwidth caps can reduce a 30 Mbps service down to 3 Mbps or even lower.

Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in your neighborhood access the Internet simultaenously.
Both cable modem and DSL performance vary from one minute to the next depending on the pattern of use and traffic congestion on the Internet.
DSL and cable Internet providers often implement so-called "speed caps" that limit the bandwidth of their services.
Some home networks cannot match the speed of the Internet connection, lowering your performance

When it comes to security, Cable and DSL implement different network security models. Historically, more concerns have existed with cable security, although cable providers have definitely taken steps to improve security over the past few years. It's likely both DSL and cable are "secure enough" for most people's needs.

That Should help you Pick What is sutable for your needs
Quote from: jht129:I have a website, and if unauthorized people try to get into a restricted part of the site, I would like to make a webpage that has a virus embedded into it so that when they access the restricted webpage, the virus spreads to their system.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:36 AM
Addicted to the Reef

i pay about 50 bucks for comcast cable and avg speed is 6- 16 ( yes 16)

but might i add i live in a newer area

where as when i lives 1/2 miles a way i used adv cable and avg about the same. but my dad who uses adv cable in an older area get 0.7 to 2 if hes lucky.

dsl in my area is always out or very slow.. i hate bell south

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 06/06/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R
i pay about 50 bucks for comcast cable and avg speed is 6- 16 ( yes 16)

but might i add i live in a newer area

where as when i lives 1/2 miles a way i used adv cable and avg about the same. but my dad who uses adv cable in an older area get 0.7 to 2 if hes lucky.

dsl in my area is always out or very slow.. i hate bell south
16 what .. i guess u live in japan where you living on fiber optic caple .

The average broadband download speed in the US is only 1.9 megabits per second, compared to 61 Mbps in Japan, 45 Mbps in South Korea, 18 Mbps in Sweden, 17 Mbps in France and 7 Mbps in Canada, says the Communication Workers of America.
Quote from: jht129:I have a website, and if unauthorized people try to get into a restricted part of the site, I would like to make a webpage that has a virus embedded into it so that when they access the restricted webpage, the virus spreads to their system.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:50 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Dude, you an haxx0r your cable and get absolutly incredible speeds. Something like actual download at 10mbps, upload at 2mbps. And those are actual speeds, not just "theoretical" speeds that the companies quote you.

6.0mbps/512kbps DSL ftw.
I've never had a single speed problem on my line, except when I corrupted the actual ports at BellSouth's substation from running too many people on a CS server hosted at my house. I do have problems with my modem and router, where they have to be reset once a day though. Regardless, I'm happy with my system, and I seed torrents like nobody's business.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

when it comes to torrents i am on another level . i have my server2003 just for seeding torrents. lol
Old 06/06/2007, 12:01 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Yea I have a dedicated print server that runs 24/7 just for printing and torrents. mmm. torrents... Torrentleech.org ftw.
Old 06/06/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

im really just looking to save a little $$$
Old 06/06/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I choose cable hands down over DSL here is why.

I am hardly ever home and I do not like to talk on the phone. I was paying over $100 for 2 phones thru the phone company. 3 years ago I switched to Vonage. $15 per month for line one (that includes 500 minutes any where in the us, Canada and parts of Europe. I also pay $10 for a non featured (no voice mail) second line that also has 500 minutes. One line is for friends and family one is for business. I also have a cell phone.

So for $28/month I have vonage on 2 numbers.

Side note: Vonage has a $25/month plan with unlimited calling. I did the math. I would need to talk for about 1000 minutes in a month in order for it to be worth spending the extra $10 for the unlimited plan.

So in the cable vs dsl argument I get cable because DSL requires a phone. I pay about $55/ month for my cable modem (that also does include very basic cable TV).

Cable is also faster - not that you need the speed - unless you are downloading movies.
Old 06/06/2007, 12:25 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

You don't get the upload speed with cable though... That's a big complaint that I have, because when you're using torrents, it's all about P2P, and a lot of sites will ban you if you don't have a decent d/l to u/l ratio. It's also not fair to the other community users.

We got bellsouth down from like $100 or $120 a month to like $65 or so I think by dropping our second line and making our home phone have only basic phone access. This is with keeping our DSL at 6.0mbps I believe. Our neighborhood provides the basic cable, so we wouldn't have to pay either way I don't think.
Old 06/06/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

hey ninjamini what company do u use for yur cable??
Old 06/06/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member.

I have Earthlink and once in a blue moon something happens. Even when I lose service, its for a little. Its like $2 and some change, my house phone is $20 and some. So $65 sounds about right for DSL/Phone. Then I pay another $190 for cell phones. Shafted all over by phone companies.

Basically what it comes down to for internet service it is the same price, if not more or less.
Old 06/06/2007, 01:36 PM
Addicted to the Reef

uploads for me are usualy 900 kbs to 5 m

not that big on torrents but used to host a web site from house.

and no i live in parkland

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 06/06/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by illal
hey ninjamini what company do u use for yur cable??
Comcast. Why?

13.19 mbps download
1253 kbpu upload

Last edited by ninjamini; 06/06/2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06/06/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

cause u said $55 including basic cable
Old 06/06/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Yea but thats only like 7 channels.
Old 06/06/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

lol