Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Cope Pods

I was wondering if any one had any extra they could spare, thats gunna be at the meeting saturday..i set up a tank just for them..
so id like to get off to a good start with my new lil project.. an help would be app..thanks..

SCOTT
Old 02/14/2007, 06:33 PM
Team RC Member

Scott, I have amphipods I could wrestle up for ya. there alot bigger than the standard copepods. Just a thought for ya.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 02/14/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

cool id love some..thier goin in a 10 gallon tank..nothin else in there.. just cheato..ill need a few just as soon as my new frag tank is up an runnin..its gunna be a 29 gallon times two.. verry soon.. more room for yumas an rics..

SCOTT
Old 02/15/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

i am mgoing to make the meeting also can you give me some?
Old 02/15/2007, 01:32 PM
Team RC Member

I'll try to round up alot of them, there tiny and quick so I'll see what I can do for both of ya. If you guys wanted, bring a couple small pieces of very porous rubble rock and I'll stick em in my fuge until the next meeting. get ya all sorts of pods on em by then. And probably some other critters as well, lot's of stometellas, small white feather dusters, and funny little worms all in my fuge.

Old 02/15/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

hey just to put this out i have cfb (confused flour beetles) that i have had for a long time they are good for feeding lizards and some fish, havent used it on saltwater fish yet but i am sure they will eat them there larva are good for feeding african cichlid fry i can bring some if anybody wants to start there own, really easy to grow
Old 02/15/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

adam pm sent..
Old 02/15/2007, 05:07 PM
Reef Fanatic

If you have a tank, you have copepods. And if you are putting cheato in that 10g tank, then you are already likely putting some copepods in there along with LOTS of other micro-critters.

If you are planning on brewing copepods for a specific purpose (raising some fish, etc) then you will need a source of pure stock. And in that case, adding in cheato is probably a bad idea as you will likely be adding lots of those other things like I mentioned above and that will pretty much spell ruin for any attempt to culture something specifically.

Just some thoughts...

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 02/15/2007, 05:49 PM
Team RC Member

Captbunzo, that's why I like these grammarus shrimp amphipods, I've had them in a 10g by themselves before, just stuck some cheato from my sump in there. Had all sorts of critters in there, but the amphipods did just fine. The larger ones eat on any left over food bits and the nauplii eat on the phyto (assuming this, as I can't really see em). In fact, I've read you can culture them in just a bare tank filled with lot's of bioballs. They help filter the water and also give the critters lots of stuff to cling too. They like clinging on anything and jumping around from chunk of rubble to chunk of rubble.

GS rock, I may be interested in those. YOu don't happen to know any nutritional value of them do you? Or have some pictuers? Any know why they are so confused?

Old 02/15/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

adam your more than welcome to stop by before the meeting if ya like..

scott
Old 02/15/2007, 07:09 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

papagimp/Adam- This is GS's first meeting and I told him to look you up and say hi. His real name is Josh. For that matter, everyone say hi to him!
Sheryl

CRASE 2008
Old 02/15/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

hey CAPT, its the micro critters an the pods im after..what ever kind of pods they are..theres many different kinds..theres the kind for soft corals hard corals, an agressive fish.. im just trying to see if i can breed them in the 10g ..i got a sand bed with a few rocks.. an a ball of chaeto..heres a question for ya..if i take or attempt to take pods if i got any out of my 75g sump will i contaminate the 10g an kill them all...or would they survive..in the next 3 to 4 weeks we shall see..but i have plenty of phyto that bigb has given me to see if this works..the page i read says to keep the water with a green tint , then when it clears up add some more,{PHYTO} it been clearing up about every other day..now could that be do to the air pump or the micros eating the phyto..ill keep ya posted..an thanks for any input i get from this..

SCOTT
Old 02/15/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

yes all this will be my first meeting so dont scare me away yet, sheryl is very nice shes the one who got me wanting to join comas i hope to meet more helpful people at the meeting...
Old 02/15/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

i dont know how to load picture but heres a web site that sells them here also just do a serch on the web site to look up pictures the only get maybe 1/4 inch maxium size also they dont require nothing of you just a air tight place to store them in i keep mines in a tupperware box and hasvent had any problems, i have tryed Vinegar Eels and alot of people say they are easy and i think they are more work than cfb but let me know
Old 02/15/2007, 10:17 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

GS- vinegar eels are very simple. They take care of themselves and to harvest them is even easier. What did you find "more work" about them?

CRASE 2008
Old 02/15/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

i am trying to say that cfb are even more easyer plus the dont smell like vinegar and nats dont fly around them
Old 02/15/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

i dont mean to be rude but this thread not about eels ..or vinegar..an i dont care about gnats,...i need info about copepods an such..if ya got something else to talk about plz use an PM or start a new thread.. thankyou..

SCOTT
Old 02/16/2007, 12:41 AM
Reef Fanatic

I'd love to give the vinegar eels a try sometime. I assume fish really go after them when dumped into a tank?

Old 02/16/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

plz if you wanna talk about eels start another thread, an i woant TYPE IN CAPS.. OR TALK ABOUT KILLIN YUMAS..or tell me is a vinegar eel a smothing i need in my tank>?..

scott
Old 02/16/2007, 02:35 AM
Reef Fanatic

Eh? Come now, take it easy. Vinegar eels are people too!!!! (wait, that didn't make any sense)

Old 02/16/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

hey bigscott, just get a couple of rocks from your tank and put them in your 20 and feed phyto daily, your pods will explode!! i dont think you need a starter unless you really want one. i have a quarenteen tank that dont have anything it but sand and rubble, when the lights go out it looks like a 1 inch haze on the sand bed , kinda freaky! if you run out of phyto i have plenty i'll sell or trade! ( hint hint )
Old 02/16/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

i already owe ya a ric..but ill make it two if ya bring me some of those lil critters..an i love to trade...i just got some awsum green discomas today when i was at wet pets.. thier ora frags were awsum..

scott
Old 02/16/2007, 06:19 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

Scott-please don't yell at me. (I'm such a delicate flower.)

I just want to answer captn b...
Vinegar eels are so small they are used for fry. Sort of a bridge between egg sack and a more nutritional food, but you can keep them on hand so if you are surprised by a hatch, you have something. At least in FW. Bigger fish ignore them.

CRASE 2008
Old 02/16/2007, 06:25 PM
Reef Fanatic

Thanks for the explanation, Serra!

I really wonder what in our tanks might like to eat these. Will these make good food for corals or anything? Just kind of an interesting thought....

Old 02/16/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

its all good Serra..can you harvest them like copepods>?
or grow them in the same tank..im just courious..

scott