Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

LFS trys to sell half dead croceas for $100 each

Our LFS called Total Pet just brought in 5 crocea clams that look very unnatural. Their shells are bleach white without anything growing on the sides of them and the mantles are a very pale purple, so pale that they are basically white and see through. As you might expect all of them are gaping and retracting their mantles. To top it all the LFS wants $100 a piece for these, however this doesnt surprise me as they try to sell small colonys of pumping xenia for $50 and green star polyps for $60.

But has anyone ever seen croceas look this terrible before anywhere else?
Old 01/13/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like your LFS is trying to pull a fast one. The bummer part about most "fish stores" is that they will get livestock only to die within a couple of days. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good ones that care about livestock but most of them don't give a damn, they just want the quick buck. You know now to go find another LFS...IMO...

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 01/13/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Like most Lfs they try to pray on the noobs in this hobby that don't know any better. Thats what the LFS around my area does also, charges rediculous prices for frags and corals. 1 1/2 inches maxima clams $95. Like I always say BUYER BEWARE! I watch a person that just finish cyclying their tank and bought the most ugly grey leather for their tank that cost $69.99, I would have throw it in the garbage!
Old 01/13/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Even worst is that right now they are trying to sell a mushroom coral for $78... not even a ricordia or anything fancy. Just a little purple mushroom on a small rock. At least it wont die from sitting in their tank for months unsold. They are at least able to keep mushrooms alive. I could go on about the other stunts they have pulled like keeping a stingray in a 10 gal tank for a month before it died and bringing in all sorts of nudibranches that they dont understand but I've already posted about those before.
Old 01/13/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Well,
you sound like the smartest sawdust shoveler out there, so go tell them they are crooks, then go find another LFS.......

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 01/15/2007, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

I, like so many others had the same " getting taken because you're a noob" thing happen. Then I researched and looked around and saw that I wasn't alone as far as being taken advantage of. So I started alittle aquarium maintenance business, found a few wholesalers, started selling to my customers, then at christmas put an ad in the paper selling 6" t.corceas at $55.00 and sold 20 in a week, now looking at opening a store. My customers trust me because I tell the truth about everything. It's a small thing, but they trust me. I won't sell it if it won't live at your house. Oh yeah, helps that I don't rely on the $$, I have another job-60hrs/wk. I also would say that just finding another LFS for some is impossible, we had 3 within a 75mile radius, couple are 120+ miles.