Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

ORA breeding pair from Puppy Center

They are in quarantine right now.

My wife has been bugging me for weeks that we should get fish. "we're not ready" has been my base answer every time. Coming back from MA tonight, she wanted to stop at Whole Foods for some special hot sauce paste thing that apparently only they carry, and it just happens to be one exit from PC. Hmmm, do we stop? Do cows drink milk? [Baby cows, that is.] They had a mated pair of ORA clowns that are perfect. The markings, are amazing. The price was, well, I had to think about it. But they are gorgeous. So I bit the proverbial bullet and we brought them home.

I wanted to upload pix, but the "my gallery" link of RC is not working. The php script appears to not be there. But since I know that ErickRM loves the pix, I've posted them on my website. Let's see if I can get this to work. Unfortunately, my camera thought I wanted pix of the PVC and not the fish. It's a large picture, and the best I can do tonight - I should have taken pix earlier, but it's been a busy night.

Tomorrow's pix will be better, and less grainy. This was taken with low ambient light and no flash. They are under enough stress for now. They are staying away from the PVC even. In the corner under the heater and thermometer and just hanging low there.

They looked like they were actually "kissing" earlier! Nose to nose for a good 3 seconds. It was cute (there goes my "man card").

But in all, I'm pretty pumped. Ah, back in the game again.

EDIT: reduced picture size for faster loading

Last edited by mikelaubach; 12/02/2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12/02/2007, 02:13 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

lol pics lol... soon you will see em dancing and rubbing the pvc and then....... orange tiny bubbles lol.... i was thinking about getting them as well but i have a couple of diff fish in mind and they did not fit great buy though
Old 12/02/2007, 11:25 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

ahhh those were so nice. literally PERFECT. Joe said they were the top of the line fish that ORA uses for breeding, ORA just has so many theyre selling them... real cheap too.

did you see all the new SPS we got too? took me a freakin' hour to figure out how to fit it in the tank haha

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 12/02/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

nice fish. better set up a few more tanks go grow out the babies
Old 12/02/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bangaii man
nice fish. better set up a few more tanks go grow out the babies
Manny, if that becomes the case (and the reason we were willing to buy them is that they're a mated pair), I'm more than happy, willing, and whatever. Your cardinals are an inspiration!

They seem happier this morning, swimming around in the 10 gal QT, but are not yet taking food. I've tried ORA Glow (a pellet food from ORA that I got last night as well), mysis, and MarineGro (a different pellet food I got at the Oct meeting). I'll go out and get some flake later today and try that. Also have cyclopease I can try I guess. The male ate one pellet, but it's been "inhale and spit" for the most part.

But they come up to me when I get close to the tank. It is sitting on my desk where I work 8 hours a day or more, so it should be interesting to see how much work I get done over the next few weeks.

I tried to get some more pix, but the buggers won't hold still long enough!
Old 12/02/2007, 12:42 PM
Enjoying Life

Quote:
I tried to get some more pix, but the buggers won't hold still long enough!
Well, keep trying Nah, j/k man, if you get them you get them, if ya don't ya don't.
Old 12/02/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

very nice if you don't mind the suggestion (i can't tell if it is or not) you may want to paint the bottom of your tank so they don't get disoriented by flying while swimming.
Old 12/02/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

New SPS that is bad!! ill be in tomorrow
Old 12/02/2007, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by renogaw
very nice if you don't mind the suggestion (i can't tell if it is or not) you may want to paint the bottom of your tank so they don't get disoriented by flying while swimming.
Never even thought of that. Could it be why they won't take the food off the bottom?

Ok, I turned it over to paint it, and now I have a water problem!!!

Come on, it was funny!

The tank sits on an oak desk, and I can only see a reflection at an angle from the front, back or sides, not when looking down into the tank. Does everyone paint their [tank] bottoms? I've never done bare bottom before [in the fish tank sense ].
Old 12/02/2007, 07:05 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

i have starboard at the bottom so i wouldnt know about fish problem with them flying? interesting though.
Old 12/02/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
by erickrm
i have starboard at the bottom so i wouldnt know about fish problem with them flying? interesting though.
Actually, after watching them more today, it appears they were going for food on the bottom and were 1/2" off. So they are looking at an angle, and seeing the reflection and going after that and not the food. I did check out my display tank with a black painted back, and it is far less reflective. Another thing to do I guess.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

fitch4 has a mated pair f/s...