Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

Aquatraders.com

I had a very negative experience with aquatraders.com and will certainly never purchase anything from them again. I bought two 24 watt PC fixtures from them for two pico tanks. I also ordered an extra bulb. They sent the wrong bulb and this took several weeks and multiple emails to remedy. I learned that you can only communicate with them about customer complaints via email and that replies to these emails may or may not happen. Then, after about 10 days, one of the fixtures I bought stopped working. After several emails, I was given a return authorization and a long disclaimer form to sign. I had to ship the item back (must be in all original packaging) at my own expensive and then wait another 10 days (again - with the prompting of several further emails). I had requested a replacement since I had modified my 2.5 gallon pico to fit this specific fixture and had already purchased an additional bulb. However, they refused to honor my request and instead decided to refund my money - not including original or return shipping.

Aquatraders.com's prices seem quite good, but this was an excellent example of the saying "You get what you pay for."
Old 11/08/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I had no luck e-mailing Aquatraders. I got no response from my e-mail.
I did have luck phoning them, though. The person on the phone wasn't the friendliest or overly helpful, but she did answer my question.
I'm very happy, so far, with the light they sent me. It looks exactly like a Coralife light (I think it's exactly the same without the name). It has 3 switches, 3 plugs, and two fans for a 48" PC for a little over 100 bucks.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

If you had just done a search on them here you never would have bought from them in the 1st place. Shame on YOU.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

I just tend to be much too trusting of a person. I guess I'll need to start doing searches on all vendors. I've learned my lesson!
Old 11/10/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Yea I was not trying to be a smarty. I learned my lesson with them also. The light worked for 1 day. I could not get a response by email or phone from them. Like everything else you get what you pay for. Mine was very cheaply built.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Right about the lousy service, they take forever to respond to multiple e-mails and the girls on the phone just really don't care un less you you push or threaten them, then you get some where, however one positive, I purchased the 72" halide/ PC combo for $599, switched out the HQI's for better bulbs, switched out there crappy ballasts for better ones and have an awesome lighting unit, and still quite a bit less than others are
Old 12/26/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Satisfied So Far

Bought the 24" 380W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) about a month and a half ago so far no problems keeping my fingers crossed. From what I understand when they switched to the eletronic ballast on this unit the problems associated with it were solved.