Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 01:53 PM
Ryan Steagall

Ordering equipment today... need advice on 2 pumps and UV.

3 major things I'm wanting to purchase today. A pump for my skimmer, a return pump, and a uv sterilizer. My main concern about the pump(s) is performance of course as well as how quiet it is. Keeping it quiet is a major concern because I do not have a dedicated room for the equipment and it will be in the vicinity of our living room.

1. I'm ordering a Panworld 200ps to run the MRC MR2 that I just purchased. According to MRC's site, this pump would also run a MR3. So... I know I'm over shooting... but this is a good thing for this skimmer from what I hear. If anyone disagrees, let me know

2. I need to buy a return pump. Assuming that I'm making the correct decision about getting a Panworld for the MRC MR2. I'd like to stick with the same branded pump unless something is better. Which Panworld might be suggested for return to a 195G-240G tank?

3. I've placed a post in the equipment forum about a week or so ago looking for recommendations for a UV Sterilizer, but wasn't satisfied with the feedback. I'll probably be ordering my pump(s) from marinedepot.com... so it would be nice to order the UV filter from here too. The only UV filter I've had is a HOB angstrom that just broke on me last night. Of all the UV Sterilizers out there, which one of these might some one suggest to handle up to a 240G tank? http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...rs__index.html

I wish I knew more about larger sized equipment like what I'm about to buy, so I'm hoping someone can guide me a little.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:41 PM
Beer King

Ryan you may want to check out the blue line hd pumps from champion supply. There high quality and a little less expensive.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:54 PM
Ryan Steagall

Quote:
Originally posted by eyebedam
Ryan you may want to check out the blue line hd pumps from champion supply. There high quality and a little less expensive.
The one for the skimmer must be pressure rated. Other than that, it really all depends on how loud the pump is. I went to see jfolley's about a week ago. She and her husband had Panworld pumps all around and I was fairly content with the noise level. MRC also said that they were very quiet, but not as quiet as the Sequence pumps... but they also said that most people get the Panworld and that is what he would recommend for use. I'm guessing my my conversation with them that the mrc2/3 were designed around the panworld pumps.

I'm just very confused on the return pump...

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...tic_px_ps.html

There are some that are not pressure rated that are quite a bit cheaper and use much less power. Any suggestions on those?

Oh yea.. don't for get the UV . I gotta get a new one of those too.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:33 PM
Beer King

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=485 The blue line models I believe are pressure rated also. Im not really sure on uv,s i dont have any exp with them. Shawn @ ebay has 1 on the display tank you might want to give him a call & see what there using over there.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:52 PM
Ryan Steagall

Hmmm... the warranty on the blueline is much much better too. See... now you confused me more :O

Both panworld and blueline pumps are "are designed and built by a former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan" ??????? Are they they same... just rebadged?

Last edited by rsteagall; 01/03/2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:16 PM
Ryan Steagall

OK... well its official. I called Pan World directly.

Champion Blueline is a rebadged Pan World pump. The 200ps is the same thing as the 70HD.

The guy that answered the phone was very helpful and forefront with the information. I will probably get the blueline (if champion gets them in stock) because of the extended warranty and possible cheaper price. marine depot appears to have their shipping built into the price of the product even though its "free" :P.

Last edited by rsteagall; 01/03/2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:18 PM
Catch and release

Yeah Panworld and Blueline are basically the same pump. They have a very good reputation. A step below Iwaki maybe in reliablity (but still very good) and more efficient with power and quieter in general. The 150ps will work very well for a single beckett MR 2 or 3. If you are using 2 becketts you will want to use the 200.

As far as a return pump the amount of water you want to push depends on what your overflows are rated, how big your sump is and how many baffles it has. You will want to get one of the flow rated pumps for that though instead of the pressure rated models unless you plan on running the returns through penductors/eductors.
hth, Chris
Old 01/04/2008, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

As for your Sterlizer. I am having good luck with the Gamma Current brand. I would get the 40watt one If I were you.