Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

2-Yellow tangs in a 75 too much! Looking for advise before acting!

Advise need before I act.

I have a 75 reef tank, 7 years old, very well established.
I dont have many fish.
1-damsel
1 Clown fish
spiny urchin
many SPS (all doing well)

Here is my idea;

Introduce 2 yellow tangs at the same time. Am I asking for trouble or is this ok. Thought it would look better with a pair and would a 75 be big enough (40 gallon sump). They recommend 50g tank for a yellow tang.

Later introduce 5 Chromis or 5 Orange Lined Cardinalfish for schooling. Which of these are better?

Is it true about chromis' that they will slowly kill each other off.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:01 AM
Drunken Member

1 yellow tang in a 75 is too much. I hope you are joking.

*EDIT*

Take into account that this fish will get very large in it's lifetime and will not be comfortable in 75 gallons of water.

Tangs in the wild have a habitat of miles that they swim in daily. I assume your tank is 48" x 18" at the base? This is not going to promote a healthy life for this fish.

72" is recommended for any tangs kept in an aquarium and less than 100 gallons is not recommended.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Introduce 2 yellow tangs at the same time. Am I asking for trouble or is this ok. Thought it would look better with a pair and would a 75 be big enough (40 gallon sump). They recommend 50g tank for a yellow tang.
I would say go with just one. You have a small tank and sump water doesn't count because we are talking about swimming space not bioload issues. How have you managed for 7 years with so few fish. Did you have a crash? Or did you just not shop during that time.

Chromis do tend to fight but somtimes the group will make it. Don't know if cardinals are better, sorry.

Make sure you add slowly even though your tank has been around for awhile your bacteria will still have to adjust to new additions.

Lisa
Old 01/10/2007, 12:23 AM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by AllenFord_SC
1 yellow tang in a 75 is too much. I hope you are joking.

*EDIT*

Take into account that this fish will get very large in it's lifetime and will not be comfortable in 75 gallons of water.

Tangs in the wild have a habitat of miles that they swim in daily. I assume your tank is 48" x 18" at the base? This is not going to promote a healthy life for this fish.

72" is recommended for any tangs kept in an aquarium and less than 100 gallons is not recommended.
I think this post is the definition of "the tang police".

Anyways, I think that with only one large active fish in a nice sized 4 foot tank, that species of tang will do really well.

So many standard "rules" and so many things ignored. I think stocking density is much more important for the smaller tangs than just a tanks basic dimensions once your at a 4 foot tank or above.

I think one yellow tang would be a nice addition.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:26 AM
saltwater in my veins

Double post..
Old 01/10/2007, 12:29 AM
Drunken Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
I think this post is the definition of "the tang police".

Anyways, I think that with only one large active fish in a nice sized 4 foot tank, that species of tang will do really well.

I think one yellow tang would be a nice addition.
Actually I don't even own a tang. I do however believe in proper husbandry and not keeping an animal in an uncomfortable enviroment. So if this makes me "the tang police" then paint me with a brush. You, however can continue telling people to cram a fish into a tank it shouldn't be in.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

From the reading on tangs that I have done I think 'miles' is a gross exaggeration of tang territory. I have always seen them described in yards. As always if you disagree please point me to an article that clarifies this issue.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
do however believe in proper husbandry and not keeping an animal in an uncomfortable enviroment.
While you don't own a tang, I still think this is a hypocritical statement coming from anyone who has a fish tank. Don't kid yourself, all of your fish would be more comfortable in the ocean. They are here because of your selfish desire (as my own) to have a part of the reef in your house. IMHO anyone who owns a marine tank is helping to mess up the reefs so who are you to talk. Sorry officer. Please don't arrest me.

I have seen recommended tank sized for Coral Beauty's for example of 30gal. Looking at mine running a full gambit of my six foot at break neck pace for hours at a time would make me beg to differ. He swims much more actively and covers more territory than either of my tangs.

Lisa
Old 01/10/2007, 12:41 AM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Actually I don't even own a tang. I do however believe in proper husbandry and not keeping an animal in an uncomfortable enviroment. So if this makes me "the tang police" then paint me with a brush. You, however can continue telling people to cram a fish into a tank it shouldn't be in.
You seem to have little knowledge of the yellow tang specifically and are just generalizing and giving a blanket statement, you earned your badge.

I hardly consider a 75g tank with a yellow tang, a clown and a damsel "crammed".

Curious, do you even know the ranges of some of the other fish commonly used in aquaria? I think someone is in denial of what an aquarium actually is...

You're so noble giving that poor tang that needs miles to swim an extra 2 feet

Again, i think stocking density and choice are MUCH greater factors in this situation, I use SITUATION because I prefer not the generalize like others.

I often see people get tanks that are within "the rules" for tangs stocked in a way (multiple tangs, angels..) that I think is much worse than a single large fish in a tad bit smaller tank that does not conform to the tang police.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:46 AM
Drunken Member

SO miles may have been an over exageration but it was to drive a point across.

Reefmutts: Keep the fish if you feel like you have to have one. Elevate your flow to keep the fish more active and to give it more excercise swimming like it's used to in nature. After all, it's your tank, not mine. I on the other hand have a 150 gallon tank dim: 48" x 30" x 25" and I don't own a tang because I don't feel like this is ample swimming space. Some people keep tangs in a 55 gallon. My point is, do what you want, your money, your tank, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

AMEN HBtank!
Old 01/10/2007, 12:59 AM
Drunken Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
You seem to have little knowledge of the yellow tang specifically and are just generalizing and giving a blanket statement, you earned your badge.

I hardly consider a 75g tank with a yellow tang, a clown and a damsel "crammed".

Curious, do you even know the ranges of some of the other fish commonly used in aquaria? I think someone is in denial of what an aquarium actually is...

You're so noble giving that poor tang that needs miles to swim an extra 2 feet

Again, i think stocking density and choice are MUCH greater factors in this situation, I use SITUATION because I prefer not the generalize like others.

I often see people get tanks that are within "the rules" for tangs stocked in a way (multiple tangs, angels..) that I think is much worse than a single large fish in a tad bit smaller tank that does not conform to the tang police.
Sorry I'm not as wise as you. I was giving advice based on my opinion.

I bow out gracefully.

The soapbox is all yours.
Old 01/10/2007, 01:07 AM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Sorry I'm not as wise as you. I was giving advice based on my opinion.

I bow out gracefully.

The soapbox is all yours.
You called his question a joke, I guess I did not interpret that as "advice", sorry.
Old 01/10/2007, 01:12 AM
Drunken Member

Well asking if two tangs can go in a 75 seemed a little on the extreme, so I said "I hope you are joking". I felt it was a little harsh so I went back and edited it. I'm sorry reefmutts if that was offensive but it just struck me as a joke. HBtank gave you some great advice. You should listen to him not me.
Old 01/10/2007, 06:42 AM
Zen Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfish11
From the reading on tangs that I have done I think 'miles' is a gross exaggeration of tang territory. I have always seen them described in yards. As always if you disagree please point me to an article that clarifies this issue.
Actually I have done thousands of hours worth of SCUBA diving over the past 20 some years and have followed tangs, angels and a few other fish and have seen them swim the entire reef. Sometimes that reef might be a couple hundred yards in length, like a couple spots in south florida, or miles as in the great barrier or in the Philipanes(sp)

So no Miles is not a gross exaggeration by any means.

ORCA Founder
Old 01/10/2007, 09:40 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

I have to agree with AllenFord...I wouldn't put even 1 Yellow in a 75. These 'minimum tank size' are on the sites that are trying to sell fish..the smaller you make the 'minimum tank size' , the more fish you sell..And MOST minimum tank size refers to how big a tank this fish need ALONE! Without additional tankmates.
Having larger tanks , I can tell you I couldn't imagine putting my Tangs in anything smaller. They are so active and Yellows can reach up to 10" if given the proper environment to grow.
I am not sure why everyone was so quick to jump all over AllenFord, he simply gave his opinion..He was not rude about it yet he gets flamed Why not respectfully disagree and move on
Old 01/10/2007, 09:50 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by BTTRFLYGRL
Why not respectfully disagree and move on
I agree. We often butt heads about this topic, but are not rude or fight about it

Have you considered one of the bristle mouth tangs? They are best suited for a tank your size, though just barely...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ctenocha.htm

I love my tomini. He hugs the rocks alot, so I think he is suited to less "open water" swimming. JMO/E.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/10/2007, 09:58 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
I agree. We often butt heads about this topic, but are not rude or fight about it [/IMG]

The Tomini is a great suggestion
Old 01/10/2007, 10:01 AM
Moved In

Let's keep the bickering down ok?

My opinion is 1 might be ok, but but I've seen a couple in 75's they look so big and awkward in the tank. Make it look small. I originally thought I had to have one myself, but never did get one after how big I saw they got.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/10/2007, 10:03 AM
Drunken Member

That's a great looking fish you have there Peter. I might look into one of those.

Thanks for the support you guys, I didn't mean to start a war.
Old 01/10/2007, 10:08 AM
Reef adict

You can keep a yellow tang in a 75g no prob IMO. I wouldnt go with a full size adult or anything but ya know we do spend lots and lots of money on this hobby we love so go ahead and enjoy a little. I would probably even put a small yellow in a standard 55g but thats just me.
Old 01/10/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Re: 2-Yellow tangs in a 75 too much! Looking for advise before acting!

Quote:
Originally posted by reefmutts
Advise need before I act.

Later introduce 5 Chromis or 5 Orange Lined Cardinalfish for schooling. Which of these are better?

Is it true about chromis' that they will slowly kill each other off.

Yes it is true. I started out with 7 and I am down to 3. As I have seen they start out by isolating 1 or 2 until they starve to death and then move on to the next.

I recently lost 2 over the holidays and now I already see another being isolated so my next school will probably be anthias but if you like cardinals I would recommend Kaudern's (the black and white ones)

and I would think you should be ok with 1 tellow tang (jmo)

"Hancock. Sound like a bird, flying around" (Quote from Scarface)

"Click on red house for my tank build thread"
Old 01/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Mullet Hunter

I have a YT and a hippo tang in a 75. Both are fat and happy. I set up my tank with less LR and more caves and open areas to accomodate swimming habits a little more. I think one YT in a 75 wont be a problem at all. JMO.

Good luck.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Old 01/10/2007, 12:00 PM
Secret Member

I think 2 x YT, 1 clown, 1 damsel and 5 schooling fish is way too many fish to handle bio load wise.

Personally I'd put 1 YT, 1 clown, 1 damsel and may be at most 4 more small fishes. However when the fishes grew to full size you'd find your tank looks very crowded.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to reinforce the tank size issue.

I just got back from my lfs, and in their fowler show tank theres a large french angel 10", and a naso of similar with streamers.

They were stunning in 400g but they would definately use more space.

I feel if your buying a juvi you should plan on housing it full size.

Pete