Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2005, 12:01 PM
Moved On

Warning to Test Kit and Hydrometer Users

I've found, like many other newbies I assume, that the test kits for pH and the plastic Hydrometers are pretty useless. I used these up until I got a pH pen and refractometer. My pH had been testing (via test kit) to be 8.2-8.3. The pH pen which I carefully calibrated and tested against buffer solutions, showed my pH to be 7.9-8.0!!! My salinity, measured by hydrometer was meant to be 1.026... refractometer showed 1.030!!!

I implore you all to get pH pens and refractometers if you don't have them already. Seriously, with all the money we've spend on crap we don't really need, these are two of the best investments any reefer can make.

And they don't have to be expensive. I got my refractometer *on sale* at DrsF&S for less than $40. The pH pen I got was $56, but you can get good ones for cheaper.

Last edited by sihaya; 08/12/2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08/12/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Good advice.
Old 08/12/2005, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/12/2005, 04:27 PM
Moved On

They're also good because when testing is this easy you do it more often. I used to only test my pH every few days because it was so annoying to have to use those test kits. And with the hydrometer, you have to deal with bubbles and salt build up. Now I test my salinity and pH all the time... like several times a day. It's really helpful.
Old 08/12/2005, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

sihaya,

Thanks for the advice...I just ordered both. I've been flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to PH because of the useless test kits I got at the LFS.
Old 08/12/2005, 05:10 PM
Moved On

You won't regret it, I promise! I'm in love with my pH pen. I just wish I had gotten one sooner...

It's especially convenient when you want to test the water something came in (or from).

And another thing is that those test kits only come with a limited number of tests. If I tested the water everytime I wanted to, I'd use up a test kit in less than a week.
Old 08/12/2005, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I, personally, never test my pH. I just keep my alk and Ca in line and let the pH take care of itself. So far, knock on wood, everything has been doing great.

I do second the recommendation on getting a refractometer.
Old 08/12/2005, 06:02 PM
Moved On

Yeah... I tried that once with my first tank. When I finally did test my pH it was 7.50 (and that was according to a test kit, which means it could have been even lower). While corals and animals will adjust to sub-optimal pH levels, you could be significantly shortening their lifespan. Or, the affects may not show up for a long time. You can't just measure alk and ca and hope for the best. Both those can be high with your pH still being low.

And you're probably using one of those Ca test kits which are also highly inaccurate.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I read somewhere, don't remember where now, that pH isn't as big a deal as most people make it out to be. Maybe I should pick up a test kit and check it. I did use to test pH, but my kit ran out and I've been too lazy to pick up a new one.

My question then is this, how do you raise/lower your pH without affecting the alk? Most buffers also mess with the pH.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:10 PM
Moved On

You can use Kalkwasser (or pickling lime). This is the best way to raise pH as it also adds calcium. If the alk goes down, just add baking soda. Contrary to popular belief, baking soda alone doesn't do much to pH when added in small amounts... it mostly affects alk. Often times when people use kalk. regularly, there's no need for an additional buffer. I wasn't one of those lucky people... so I occasionally have to add baking soda in addtion to the kalk.

pH does matter. It might not matter much if the pH is 8.2 or 8.3.. but it certainly matters if it's less than 8.0. Remember that a difference of 1 in pH is actually a 10 fold difference in the concentration of oH- or H+ (however you want to look at it). Oddly enough, a lot of people don't really understand how pH works.

Obviously it's your call... but I'd test it at least every once in awhile just to make sure it isn't low. I'm sure your corals are doing well... but if I were you I'd be worried that a low pH might be weaken them in a way I can't see.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

OK...time to invest. Wheres the best place where I can buy a refractometer AND a PH pen...please provide links to specific items for a person on a tight budget.

After 1400 RC posts I felt guilty for not having a premium membership
Old 08/12/2005, 11:23 PM
Moved On

Here's a link for the refractometer I got for $39:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...+113074+113565

and the pH pen...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113074

But I splurged and got the nice one for $64.

This site has several ranging in price from $22.50 all the way up to $104:

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...milwaukee.html

This one looks good for $42:

http://www.technika.com/misc/ad100.htm

This one they sell at my LFS for $80, but online it's only $50:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/digitalphpen.html

I prefer the ones that display the third digit, but I suspect a two digit one could do just fine.

You can also try Ebay... sometimes you can find a great deal there.
Old 08/13/2005, 12:07 AM
"Old Yeller"

Same advice is given hundreds of times a year but always bears repeating. The problem starts at the LFS. Guy comes in and the LFS assures him that the $14 plastic hydrometer will be just fine. Then they sell them 3 or 4 bottles of test strips. Again to save the guy a few bucks. So off they go on their merry way no the wiser that they just wasted 14 bucks. Then they come back and buy a Skilter............ oh it never ends.....

The advice needs posted at the shelf in the store that sells this crap
Old 08/13/2005, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Do you need to get anything else with the PH pen? Theres this solution stuff that it says you have to have, then this cleaner stuff, electrodes, and buffer stuff too. What all do you need for it to work?

Old 08/13/2005, 01:05 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ItsMee
Do you need to get anything else with the PH pen? Theres this solution stuff that it says you have to have, then this cleaner stuff, electrodes, and buffer stuff too. What all do you need for it to work?
Well, I'd at least get two buffer solutions (one of pH 7.0 and one of pH 10.0... or whatever ones are close to those that that brand sells). These are for calibration. You don't need a lot of these solutions... just enough to submerge the probe. Usually you can by single-use packets for only a couple bucks. And you only need to calibrate when you first get it and maybe once every month or two after that.

Depending on what type of pen you get, you might want to get the storage solution. Mine uses a storage solution to keep it from drying out. You just put a few drops of it in the cap. I don't know how a rinse solution would be usefull. I just rinse mine with freshwater or the storage solution. I'm sure there's probably something cheaper I could use as a storage solution... but I'm too lazy right now to look into it.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:10 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall_James

The advice needs posted at the shelf in the store that sells this crap
Seriously...

But oddly enough I don't think most LPS employees know how inaccurate these things are. Many of them still use these for their own aquariums. I've asked LPS employees if they could tell me how accurate any given test was... only one employee could tell me something about two calcium tests. But that was it. The vast majority of the time they just shrug and say something like "it's accurate enough... everyone uses them."
Old 08/13/2005, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

I think traditional test kits work just fine, these are a nice luxury to have but I don't think they are necesity.
Old 08/13/2005, 02:26 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.r8rfan
I think traditional test kits work just fine, these are a nice luxury to have but I don't think they are necesity.
Maybe for somethings test kits are ok, but for pH I think they're inaccurate and inconvenient. And given as many times you should test pH, you might as well get a pH pen.

And there's no question that refractometers are pretty much the only reliable way to measure salinity. And at only $39 it doesn't need to be a luxury.

And come on... I've seen people not hesitate to pay $200+ for a fancy protien skimmer. I say go for the $100 skimmer and get the refractometer and pH pen.
Old 08/13/2005, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

I use baking soda on a regular basis to maintain my alk. I use Seachem Ca to maintain Ca.

I am in the process of starting to use kalkwasser as top off to see how that works. I've got some Ball's pickling lime that I'm going to use.
Old 08/13/2005, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ohioreefer
I use baking soda on a regular basis to maintain my alk. I use Seachem Ca to maintain Ca.

I am in the process of starting to use kalkwasser as top off to see how that works. I've got some Ball's pickling lime that I'm going to use.

And your DEFINATELY going to want to monitor your PH (accurately) when dosing kalk!

Old 08/13/2005, 09:33 AM
Moved On

Quote:
And your DEFINATELY going to want to monitor your PH (accurately) when dosing kalk!
ditto... or at least something to measure pH

Adding baking soda alone never worked for me. It only raises my alkalinity. I can only get my pH up to where it needs to be using kalk and baking soda together. Which kinda makes sense. Diluted sodium bicardonate is a buffer and a relatively weak base. Kalk is far more basic.

Remember that NaHCO2 is what your blood uses as a buffer to keep your blood pH within the narrow range of 7.36 and 7.44.
Old 08/13/2005, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

"The DiST® 5 offers a 3-in-1 solution that instantly tests conductivity, total dissolved solids (TDS), and temperature. The unit includes adjustable TDS ratio and temperature compensation."

Does this mean that if I bought the slightly more expensive model that I could use it to test the TDS of my RO/DI and therefore not have to buy a TDS meter and save $$$?

Old 08/13/2005, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

NM....I see that model doesnt measure PH.

Old 08/13/2005, 01:17 PM
Moved On

Quote:
"The DiST® 5 offers a 3-in-1 solution that instantly tests conductivity, total dissolved solids (TDS), and temperature. The unit includes adjustable TDS ratio and temperature compensation."

Does this mean that if I bought the slightly more expensive model that I could use it to test the TDS of my RO/DI and therefore not have to buy a TDS meter and save $$$?
Yeah, I don't know about all that redox/conductivity stuff. I'm not sure what it tells you exactly. Maybe there's a way to calculate pH from the measurements it gives, but I don't know...
Old 08/13/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

I was never trying to raise pH with the baking soda, only the alk which it works great for!!

I guess I'm just gonna have to get off my keester and run and get a pH kit before I start the kalk.