Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Red Sea Max - Sediment or microbubbles?

I'd like some opinions:

I started my RSM on 12/19/07. I am obviously still cycling, but basically the tank consists of 4 damsels, 60 lbs of live sand, RO/DI w/buffer, an Instant Ocean/Oceanic combo for salt, and all stock filtration (minus all the media and protein skimmer - soon to be replaced with a Tunze 9002). Also have a Koralia Hydor 1 in there.

Things I do regret: not aerating the RO water prior to mixing salt and buffer. Also, buffer was added in tank prior to sand being added. I don't understand my reasoning for the order. I just did it. I'm guessing I caused some sort of calcium precipitate.

Anyway, if I turn off all the pumps, this sediment seems to stay suspended in the water. I'm guessing microbubbles would at least slowly rise to the top, hence me thinking it is not microbubbles.

So, will the skimmer make a difference if this is some sort of sediment/precipitate? Also, will the skimmer make a difference if these are microbubbles? I've heard microbubbles can be common in newly set up aquariums. But I'm not sure. I don't buy it so much as I think it's the possibility of the stock pumps. I'm debating the Maxijet replacement modication I found here.

I also realize I am just incredibly impatient, but this problem has been around since day 1.

Like I said, I'm looking for opinions. Anything would be great. Thanks.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

it sounds like a combination of micro bubbles and die off from the rock give it a few days and if its still there do a water change and if its still there after that then i might be a bacterial bloom nothing that shouldnt be gone in a week or 2 i wouldnt have added the damsels one cause your still cycleing and two because when you go to get some nice fish they are going to attack your nice new fish and they are a b*tch to get out when theres rocks. can you post a pic of your tank though cause im only guessing from what im imagining.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Currently the live rock I have is curing in a seperate container. I opted to go for just the live sand and some damsels for the cycle. I know about the suffering those guys can go through during this time, but I monitored them closely and paid attention to stress levels. I haven't loss one fish since I put them in the 2nd day the tank was set up. I also have no intention of keeping them. They will be brought back to the LFS where I work.

So this could be a bacterial bloom? I'm hoping it is.

Pics will be coming shortly as soon as I reclaim my digital camera from the ex-girlfriend (don't worry, there's no bad blood - I will have pics soon!)
Old 01/06/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

haha ok well from what it sound, its a bacterial bloom. how long has it been murcky like that for?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Well, I made a mess when adding my live sand. And it's pretty much been like that since. It was Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas oolite. I also have some of that white film (calcium?) precipitate on the inside of the back wet dry filter - it's quite noticeable against the black acrylic.

I think I'm going to take an airline tube and suck it out and so a very small water change after mucking it up and letting it settle. Maybe a gallon of water tops.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Only thing I did was mix salt the wrong way in my 20 QT and had a layer of hard calcium on everything, but this seems to be a different story.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

All of your questions with the RSM can be answered by looking at the monster thread above this one. There is a entire thread just on the RSM and the issues we have all run into. You should take a look, well maybe not all your answers but the majority of them can be answered.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1282199

That thread has been split countless times so there is a lot to read!

Good luck with your tank!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy - I've read through most of the 70+ pages of that thread (split twice, or three times now?). I found some help, but not exactly what I was looking for. I felt I needed to specify my problem as opposed to having it lost in a sea of posts on one thread.

I appreciate it, though.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Hey Zatko.

Did you rinse your substrate at all before putting it in? I know the livesand says you should limit the rinsing, but a little bit helps get rid of the super-fine particles.

I recently set up a nano too, and I put water and sand in maybe 2-3 days after you did. I used Caribsea Fiji Pink aragonite for sand. My tank was consistently cloudy too, and not microbubbles. I had some white film/deposits appear on my black acrylic and in the bottoms of my sump compartments, but I believe it was just fine dust from the sand settling, rather than calcium deposits. The tank cleared a bit, but still wasn't nice and crystal clear. Finally, what I did was, I siphoned all the settled dust out of the sump compartments, and replaced with new SW. Then, I put a HOT canister filter on the side of the tank, and ran it for several hours. Every 20 minutes or so during this time, I took a stick and stirred up all the sand, and wiped down the black acrylic to get all the dust suspended in the water column for the canister filter. I also used a turkey baster in my sump compartments each time, to prevent settlement back there. A few hours of this, and there was a LOT less dust when stirring the substrate, and no more settled in the sump chambers. So, I pulled the filter off, and the next morning it was crystal clear, and has been ever since.

Hope this helps.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Mathias - I'm pretty sure this is dust from the live sand. I didn't rinse it at all, in fear of destroying any of the bacteria that comes along with it (I know it would have been a minimal loss, I just don't trust the tap water here in Tallahassee - chlorine and chloramine are not friends of saltwater, and you can really smell it from the tap, which I'm not a fan of). I could have used RO, but I didn't have enough at the time, and just said the hell with it and let it ride.

After stirring it all up again last night, I checked the tank this morning and noticed it was actually more clear, but still some flecks of 'dust' remained.

I am going to go ahead and siphon a majority of the dust from the back of the sump, and after making that mess, I'll throw some sort of hang on filter to clean up the rest. I love working at a LFS, always something in the stock room I can find and use.

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think about it myself.