Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

75g stocking suggestions

I already have 2 Oscelaris, would like to eventually have a community of
- 1 South Pacific Sailfin Tang
- 1 Sandsifting Diamond Goby
- 4-6 Chalk Bass

How does everyone feel about that? Is that a friendly mix and is that too much of a bioload?
Old 12/13/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

You'll be ok.
Just add them slow, a few weeks in between.
And don't forget your water changes. They will be very important untill things find ballance.

Lucky
Old 12/13/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks and I'm in no hurry. I wanna do this correctly. Does anyone have any experience with a school of Chalk Bass? What would be an ideal number and what is their behaviour like?
Old 12/13/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

The sailfin gets kind of big for your tank, about 16" long. It's minimum recommended tank size is 125 gallons
Old 12/13/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

otiso,
I saw that in the marine fishes book as well, and was concerned, but everyone I have talked to that has kept one, even in a large tank, had said that they have never seen one get that large. But as it is, I still I not purchased the fish yet, so I could be persuaded otherwise. Besides, I like them them better than the Desjardin. In the meantime, have fun Tang Policin'!
Old 12/13/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

too much of a bioload with the tang. I'd go with a smaller fish-dwarf angel sized.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Wouldn't a good skimmer help deal with the bioload of a tang in a 75?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

With all respect ernest. You posted a thread asking for opinions on your stocking list. When Ortiso gave his you slammed him. If you already made up your mind about your stocking list, why ask?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:14 PM
Nothing to put here

Sounds like it might be a little boring. The clowns will wiggle in a corner, the goby will stick his head out from under a rock, and your left with 6 small basslets and a tang. Bio-load and space-wise I think you are alright, but the tang might need a bit more swimming room.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

with a good skimmer, yes it would help. But I still say a dwarf angel would be better long term.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James983
With all respect ernest. You posted a thread asking for opinions on your stocking list. When Ortiso gave his you slammed him. If you already made up your mind about your stocking list, why ask?
Was thinking same thing, but with a little wisdom behind me, people will do as they do, with bad advice or good.....with a message board full of opinions, it's hard to screen who to give the time of day on a post, vs. ignoring someone.

Back to the subject. Housing one nemo for 4 weeks now. Healthy as can be. Yay me. Went to lfs 2 weeks ago for some supplies with no intent to buy anything else. Saw some beat up fish....fins mangled etc. Pulled out the marine fishes book and read up while there. Decided to orphan anny what turned out to be a sailfin.

In two weeks it has bloomed to full form, losing any of the battle scars on the side, and also 99 percent healing on all his opening fins 360 degrees around his body. I've got a huge tank in the works for next year, but If this puppy gets large, I've got a circle of people more than willing to take it off my hands here in a network of salt keepers. I've seen sailfins about 14 inches in about 4 local stores here. They get huge.

My next and only addition will probably be a risky smaller butterfly with caution coral type while i continue to coral and aqua scape my tank. As a new comer I've got the confidence my tank will be better cared for than someone simply getting credibility for owning a larger tank. That in which I can easily "flex" the same way in time and then some. Larger is better, but unfortunately we can not determine the quality of care simply by posts here.....maybe in established tanks, but not in newer ones IE the OP and even yours truly.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Ooops, did not mean to "slam" him, I was actually just having some fun with the Tang Police comment. But if you missed it, I did invite anyone to persuade me out of the Sailfin, so maybe you should (prepare for a joke!) go back to watchin Dr. Phil reruns.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Lobster, I could see you scenario actually happening and that would kind of blow...Instead of a Sailfin, how about a Coral Beauty? Or should I stay away from the Bass?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

oh and for a skimmer i have an Aquamedic Turboflotor in sump. Thanks for all the suggestions so far...
Old 12/13/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

go for the basses, and a coral beauty would be nice, along with any of the other dwarfs!!!