Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

a new addition to the tank

i can't seem to snap any pix since this guy is always behind all the rocks. i picked up a orchid dottyback yesterday from Ost. pretty cool looking fish, my lil girl wanted it and it looked sweet. pink anyhow, this new fish doesn't come out much from out of the rocks and i noticed that my firefish's tail has some bite marks on it today. could it be that they are not compatible? i rather have my firefish than give him up. anyhow, i checkd the forum and its supposed to be ok. any suggestions? maybe time will tell?
Old 09/28/2006, 10:53 PM
Turning of the tide

It's been years but mine was pretty aggressive little bugger. not a team player
Old 09/28/2006, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Orchid as in Strawberry dotty....? They are one of the most aggresive fish for thier size. You need to carefully select your fish from now on, they will take on ones up to twice as big as they are. Though a striking fish, is a little too aggressive that I am sorry to have myself. Great hunters and definatly have a personality but will harass other docile fish to death.....good and bad fish to have IMO.....
Old 09/28/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

dang... that is sad news... now how could i get him out w/o taking the whole tank apart? dangit...
Old 09/29/2006, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

can't or I would have months ago........TIP: the sleep in the rocks, find its home and isolate it.....break the rock into a bucket with some water to catch him is the best I can think of.....but see how he works out for you....at least they are colorful!!
Old 09/29/2006, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

heheehthat is why i got him. my daughter loved it. PINK... dont get me wrong its a sweet looking fish adds color to the tank. its just i rather have my purple firefish than her. i paid alot more for my firefish $35 than 15... and i love the firefish, he's so personal, comes up for food and stares at u when u stare at him... ;()
Old 09/29/2006, 11:48 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Sounds like you picked up the Strawberry (or Purple) Dottyback. They can be a bit more belligerent than the Orchid Dottyback. Not a good sign for something as passive as a Firefish, which you might find harder to feed now. If it's still brave enough to feed, you might be okay. The initial aggression might subside after they solidify the pecking order.
Old 09/29/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

well that is what i get for not being prepared and listening to lfs. 100% won't do that again. imma catch this bugger and take him back and get something else. more like a cardinal im more interested in friendly fishes who likes to swim around in front of the rocks.
Old 09/29/2006, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

I can't keep a sunburst anthias until I get rid of mine........chased two to death.....
Old 09/29/2006, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Karl is correct. Also Orchids are much harder to find and fetch a much higher price then the strawberry dotty
Old 09/29/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

humm... i tried using a clear bag... this bugger is smart... im thinking of draining the tank tomorrow to get to this guy and get the rest of my fish and take them all in on sunday. im getting rid of all these guys. if anyone is intersted in a pair of false percs and sadleback, i got them 4 sale. make me an offer, or these guys are going to the lfs. im switching over to cardinals and other fish which aren't agressive. thanks
Old 09/30/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

You have a PM
Old 10/01/2006, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Yeah that sounds like a strawberry dotty, they are way more aggressive than an orchid. I have an Orchid. They are more of a violet color with a black line long ways from mouth and through the eyes. They are $25-40 bucks. They are good fish, but will still go after fire fish some times, especially purple ones. Sounds like you got hosed. Good luck.