Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

phos reactors... duh...

remember when i asked about phos reactors awhile ago? DUH. you guys forgot to tell me...

I should buy two! I cannot believe i dont already have an army of these things.
Finally hooked up the phos reactor tonight.

neat stuff

guess its only right to have one for carbon lol

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/27/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

What kind did you get? I am looking to buy some too.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

marine depot is having a special on the 150 2 lil fishys one. it comes with a free dvd and a free container of phosban maybe somthing else too i forget.

I put a filter sock over the outtake for a good 2 hrs after hooking it up. it spit out alot of particles. just a heads up

Old 12/28/2007, 06:38 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I'm not seeing that special anywhere on MD's web site. Can you supply a link?
Old 12/28/2007, 07:49 AM
Pingy Pingy!

I always run a filter sock after my phos. About twice a week I'll crank up the flow and create a mess in the chamber to keep the phos material loose. It's common for a little bit to get out.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

freed.. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~TL4411.html not sure if its a deal or not. i see now its ten extra bucks. dident watch the dvd yet but im sure thats what convinced me lol

rokle- on the sponge at the top is there supposed to be phosban caught in there?

Old 12/28/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

rokle! haha I installed the phos reactor last night because my gbta looked bad and it was looking like it was gonna move...
IT SPLIT!! whoohoo grandbabies lol

Old 12/28/2007, 09:15 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
freed.. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~TL4411.html not sure if its a deal or not. i see now its ten extra bucks. dident watch the dvd yet but im sure thats what convinced me lol

rokle- on the sponge at the top is there supposed to be phosban caught in there?
If it's doing a good job, yes it will catch most of the phos in the sponge.

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
rokle! haha I installed the phos reactor last night because my gbta looked bad and it was looking like it was gonna move...
IT SPLIT!! whoohoo grandbabies lol
It's generated a decent number for the club!
Old 12/28/2007, 04:10 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I just got two TLF Phosban Reactor 150's that I ordered yesterday. I put one together and put it on my 75 grow out tank just a little while ago. My review so far:

Putting it together I was a bit disappointed that there was only ONE plastic ratchet clamp---should be at least 4 of them as the rubber elbow boots that go to the inlet and from the outlet on top of the reactor are at best a bit loose and would likely come off down the road at the slightest nudge.

The sponges that are supplied are no where near the correct pore size to capture the smallest or a bit larger particles that float to the top of the chamber.

I was told over the phone that sections of hose would be supplied to use to attach the pump to the reactor and that would go from the reactor outlet into the tank. Notta.

So needless to say I robbed the plastic ratchet clamp from the second unit I bought and also used the two supplied sponges from the second unit to make the first one operate as it should. I also had to use my own 1/2" nylon hose to run to the reactor and from the reactor. Also had to use two of my own metal hose clamps to clamp the other ends of the rubber elbow boots so they won't come off.

Luckily long ago Instant Ocean was giving away Mini Jet 404 water pumps with every bucket of salt so I have like 4 or 5 of those laying around to use on my reactors!!

Other than that the reactor is working very well and I HOPE doing what it is supposed to do to help get rid of the algae problem that I have going on in the tank.

Last edited by Freed; 12/28/2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

lol Marine depot stated clearly I had to buy hose so i did that. I donno about the sponge issue. Oviously i have a bunch of phosban stuck in mine.. I did buy two sets of replacement sponges just so i dident hafta order them later

dident see an issue with no clamps. they are barbed pretty well, I had to pull REALLY hard to get the tube back off.
but i know what u mean about those rubber pieces.

Using a maxi 600 right now on mine.

Old 12/28/2007, 04:23 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Got mine from Premium Aquatics cause it's only one day shipping ground plus was only $34.99

Chick must not have known what she was talking about when she told me what was included in the box.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:26 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

What is the proper flow thru one of these? I have mine flowing so there is just a slight boiling of the very top inch or so in the reactor. No major volcanoes blowing up or anything. Should it be more flow? Less?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Freed - Your flow sounds ok. I have a Minijet 404 on my 150 and have the ball valve turned way down so just the top 1/2 inch or so turns over.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:10 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Yes, just a slight "boil" on the surface is about right. When you're putting in a new reactor or swapping out media, ensure you're doing ALK tests frequently (once a day or so) for the first week. Depending on the media and amount, one of the downsides is a ALK drop at the beginning.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:14 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Did not know that Rokl. Thanks for the heads up. Will check.