Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

alot of LR on sand, are dead spots bad?

My Tank is 6 mos old, 90 gal reef. Started w/ alot of live rock and fine live sand. I have a full tank now, in other words not much I can add except some more corals, lps. I do have sand sifters, various snails, sand sifting stars. My question to the experienced out there is, I have been told that rock is flat on most of the bottom of the entire tank sand causing dead spots, (no circulation & etc.) which later can cause water quailty problems? Should I take all out of tank, move sand bed and arrange rock to have as much openness as possible as for how much rock sits on the bottom and have alot of gaps between layers of rock? I appreciate all advice. K.A.M.
Old 07/14/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Well, it is always good to have a somewhat open rock structure so that you get good flow behind and between the rocks. This will prevent the settling of detrius.

However, taking it all out is pretty drastic imo, and you should not have to do that. Do you have good flow in the tank?

Can you post a pic?
Old 07/14/2007, 02:10 PM
RC Mod

That setup won't cause any problems. If there's reasonable flow in the water column, the tank will be fine.
Old 07/14/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

TomDe, Thank you for your post. Yes I will send a photo later today. I will run the scrub brush on the glass first as it is due for it. I am little on the clean side as for my tank. I like the sand white and all glass clear! The rock is all centered across the length of the tank so I can keep the back glass clean as well. There are two power heads that came with the tank. Bye for now and thanks again. K.A.M.
Old 07/14/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Thank you Jonathon for your reply. I just put a couple of photos on. The person who does my water changes for me and other needs has suggested we create better flow on the bottom (moving rock creating gaps) and expose as much sand as possible, as some of my rock is very large and flat on bottom of sand. As I am so concerned of my water quality now and for the future. I just want to be sure and change it now rather than later when corals are well established. Thank you, K.A.M.
Old 07/14/2007, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

If you have your LR on the bottom pushed down into the sand their is really nothing to worry about. Don't get overly stressed about it but you are doing the right thing planning for long term health.

Just make sure you have adequate flow and some is getting in between the rock structure and you should be A ok imo.
Old 07/14/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again TomDe for your opinion and your time to reply to my post. K.A.M
Old 07/14/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I always lift all of my live rock off the substrate. I use the rigid clear plastic 1" diameter tubing sold at most aquarium stores in 3 or 4 foot sections. you can also use PVC. I simply place 2 or 3 one inch pieces on the substrate where I am placing a piece of base rock. I then put the rock on it so it is stable. it doesnt' change the overall appearance of the tank but does increase surface area of LIve rock and gives more hiding places for critters. if you crouch down and look under the rock you can tell it is off the substrate. otherwise, without close inspection, you can't tell the rock is elevated.
Old 07/14/2007, 06:31 PM
RC Mod

Uncovering some sand might be somewhat beneficial, but I think the tank should do well enough as is. As stated, more exposed sand might mean more animals, which can be useful, but certainly isn't essential.