Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime as a kalk drip?

I have a 210g tank that I would like to start adding some corals to, i don't supplement with anything at the moment, i don't see the need to, my coralline is growing pretty good, so im guessing my calcium level is pretty good, i only have a few corals right now i am almost done with my fish list. I don't plan on doing any Sps, mostly softies and LPS, i will upgrading my lights soon to 6 6ft VHO's not sure if i want to do 4 blues 2 whites, or 3 and 3.

I would like to start a kalkwasser type drip and use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime as the mix. I see that a few people use it, i would just like more info on it, is it powder form or liquid, and also how much per gallon of ro/water.

-cory
Old 08/08/2007, 10:28 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

When adding any supplements to your water, you a test kit first. After you have tested the existing water calcium level you can adjust accordingly. If you decide to drip dose the "Mrs" lime, you can feel cofident that it is the precise substance as any brand name like "Kalkwasser" calcium hydroxide.

I test for Ca. every two weeks, if I deem necessary, I mix two level tablespoons of lime to a gallon of water- stir it up well and let it sit for twenty four hours. There will be some settling of the undisolved powder, use ONLY the crystal clear "brine" to drip.
Kent Marine sells a dosing system with a drip emitter, you could use that or build your own doser. Gravity, a container, some hose and a drip emmitter is all it takes.

Drip rate? you'll want to start slooooow, let it build up. Try a few drips per minute, test for elevations every week and adjust accordingly. T
Old 08/08/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

should i get like a medical type dripper, or would something like a john guest, 1/4" valve work? as long as i can get it to drip very slow?
Old 08/08/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

The valve should probably work just fine. I'm not sure how much you want to drip on a tank your size, but I think I was dripping about one drop every 1-2 seconds on my 46g, so you could probably go with a steady drip on a tank your size. You'll have to clean the valve out with some vinegar on occasion, as the kalk will tend to start clogging it up.

When dosing kalk, I'd say that even more important than testing Ca or Alk is to get a PH monitor if you don't have on already. Your PH will raise at a much faster rate than your Ca or Alk, so it's very unlikely that you'll be able to overdose either of those without driving your PH through the roof.

-Mike C.
Old 08/09/2007, 01:36 AM
OMAS VP

I dose about 15 gallons a week.It keeps my calc around 450.You need to moniter your alk.I wasnt and it dipped down to 6.1 dkh.
I use a medical grade food pump as my doser.
Old 08/09/2007, 02:00 AM
RC Mod

This article covers lime in detail:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Lime is a powder that mixes easily with water, up to saturation, which is about 2 tsp per gallon. It will increase pH, as well as alkalinity and calcium, so I'd recommend watching the first drip fairly closely. Starting with 1 tsp per gallon is a good way to go. I dose limewater as autotopoff.
Old 08/09/2007, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Cory

I picked up this dripper from:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....92-00b0d0204ae5

This is how I made my drip system. It cost me $19 including the Ms. Wages.

I bought 2 11qt tupperware like containers from walmart and marked the side of 1 container with 1 cup increments by adding 1 cup of water at a time then marked the container each time 1 added a cup. I then drilled a 3/16 hole in the bottom of the container off to one side and glued the dripper in place with crazy glue. I then put a very tiny hole in the lid to vent it. The dripper is offset so I can sit it on the edge of a shelf above my sump.

I use the other container for mixing Ms. Wages. 5 tsp stirred 2x in the first hour. I let it settle for 24 hours then I siphon it in to my drip bucket. This works very well for my system. You may want to make up more for you 220. I keeps for a very long time.

JB
Old 08/09/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

when mixing the "kalk" or limewater, i let it settle for a day then siphon out everythig except whats left on the bottom?
Old 08/09/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Limewater will be fully saturated at 2tsp/gallon. What ever is left will settle to the bottom and any impurities will also settle. You don't want at this to the tank or remix it.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:00 AM
Team RC Member

If you already have a topoff system, you can DIY a kalk reactor: we were just holding a discussion on where to get the cylinders over in the DIY forum. That's the easiest. You need a stirrer, some locline fittings, and a tight lid, and you're good to go. The thing is driven by your autotopoff. You just dump half a pound of Mrs. Wages in once a month or so, and the dosing is set by the amount of kalk that naturally dissolves in ro/di, and by the amount your tank evaporates per day.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/09/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

This is good info, ut I have a question.
I have a DIY Kalk rig that someone else built I would like to hookup. I evaporate about 1.5 gallons a day. I currently use a gravity feed from a 7 gallon bucket via a float valve in my sump.

How would I limit the Kalk water, if 1.5 gallons is too much/day?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08/09/2007, 03:56 PM
RC Mod

Instead of limiting the limewater, I would just reduce the amount of lime in the mix to match the demands of the tank. I wouldn't trust a float valve with lime, though, since they tend to become clogged with precipitate. I dose limewater using a peristaltic pump.

I just mix my lime, let it settle, and then stick the pump input line into the same container. I use an acrylic bar to raise it off the bottom of the bottle, which avoids dosing precipitate into the tank.