Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Upgrading lighting... 30" tank

Hi... I currently have a 30" long 37g. It's 22 inches high, I think. I have 130watts of PCs but I was wondering if these would be better:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=18486
because of the individual reflectors.
It's only 96 watts, which is why I'm not sure.
Anybody know?
Old 12/12/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Its all about, individual reflectors and the PAR of the lighting, sure you have 96watts of light but its the quality of the light and the extra reflectors that will make a big difference. I have upgraded my 396w Current MH system for the teklight fixture which is 36" long with 6 bulbs and its way brighter but only 234w of light. I had to acclimatize my corals because it was so bright. The Current t5 system looks good, make sure it has individual reflectors tho.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

It has individual reflectors. Would I be able to have a torch coral with this light, assuming flow, params, etc are all fine?
Old 12/12/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

No indiv reflectors on the one you are looking at! Really dont bother unless they have individual reflectors. The new 36" Current Nova extreme pro would be a WAY better choice! Check the dimensions and see if it will fit. 3" on each side is not bad just make sure your tank is wide enough as the canopy can be adjusted lengthways.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

It does have individual reflectors, though.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...t~0~tab~0.html
I would be buying it from here.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

And my tank is against a wall, on the back and side, so there's only one inch on one side, so 5 inches would have to be on the other. It wouldn't look good. So it's got to be 30" or less.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Well then you have made a good choice going with the Current. I have kept a torch under 130w P/C so it should be fine with the t5 lighting. Most LPS are ok with less light in my experience which with corals is going on 8 months but I have done a ton of research on t5 and it has not been a bad decision so far. Go the 30" as long as you have made sure it has indiv reflectors which it seems you have.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Sorry the first link you had didnt mention the reflectors. Checked MD and that is a really nice setup, def go for that!!!