Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2004, 05:49 AM
Bah Humbug!!

Corals and polyps for a Butterfly/Dwarf Angel Smorgasboard?

Will this work?

I am setting up what I hope to be a Butterfly/Dwarf Angel Smorgasboard- a tank dedicated to providing as much in the way of "real" food as possible.
I know that these fish will eat everything they can find- but I am hoping that getting the tank going with some corals and polyps long before I add any fish will help to keep them sustainable.

My question is whether there are any species of softies or LPS not suitable as food? Should I avoid Palythoas or do fishes have mechanisms to deal with ingesting these? Leathers?
I am hoping to not have to buy anything specifically to be devoured, but I probably will. Most of the corals will come as frags from my reef tank. I was hoping to get a wild population of say yellow polyps, green star polyps, zo's, ricordias, maybe some Euphyllias, mushrooms plain and fuzzy, anthelia- anything low light and spreading.

Does this sound like a plan? Grow this stuff for 6-8-10 months before adding the Butterfly's should be good? No specific Butterfly species chosen of yet- leaning towards Chaetodon ulietensis so I can have multiples.
Old 11/02/2004, 10:27 AM
Bah Humbug!!

So lemme put it this way...

Which corals and inverts do your Butterfly's and/or Dwarf Angels love to eat the most?
Old 11/02/2004, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

That sounds like a cool idea but wouldn't the tank have to be huge to sustain the polyps? I had a large hermit that devoured my tank of feather dusters in one night. I wonder how the butterflys would do? Still interesting indeed.
Old 11/02/2004, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

I don't see how you could sustain that food source in a home aquarium. Maybe if you had corals in a straight reef tank that you fraged on occasion as a treat for your butterflies/Angels, but if you put coral colonies in your main tank I would imagine they would be decimated before they actually prodcued new polyps.
Old 11/02/2004, 12:26 PM
Bah Humbug!!

So maybe they won't be indefinitely sustainable, but I can try.
I am giving them six months to get established, so maybe one or two will hide in a nook or cranny for a bit?
I'm more than willing to keep fragging and buying them.

What species would they like the best?