Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Color coming off Clam (Pic)

Ok guys got a concern about my clam. Seems to me that the color is litterally coming off, kinda like dust off, of my clam. Its not on the mantel but on the section between the blow holes.

Brief overview off what went down last weekend. Had a 37gal with fuge. Power went out, check value stuck open and tank drained on floor, left 2inches of water in tank. Plumbing is my fault and know exactly what is wrong and how to correct it in the future. Didn't have enough water to fill 37 back up so switched out to a 29gal. Clam was out of the water for about 2 hours total before I decided to switch tanks. Cut clams foot off rock and put in fuge, scaped rock to get foot off and didn't try to pull him off. Got new tank up but was 4 gallons short on water. Went to store and got some distilled water to fill it up, I have only used ro/di until then. It was 1am and last resort was the distilled. Finished filling everything and didn't loose any of my sps, lps, zoe's or fish.

Here are my parameters:
PH 8.1-8.2 (ph pinpoint)
Salinity 1.027 (refractometer) - normally 1.026
Calcium 460 (salifert) - little high for me, normally 420
Alk 2.85 meg/l (salifert) - little low but test was taken right before I normally dose
Mag 1425ppm (salifert) - Way high, shoot for 1260
Temp 79.5-81.5F
Ammonia <.25 but not 0 (salifert) -I'm sure from die off from LR sitting out.
Phosphate <.03 (salifert)

I dose with Randys 2-part and skim with a Deltec mce600. Salt is Tropic Marine and I use Rowacarbon and Rowaphos. Carbon is not new probably 2 months old. I've done 3gal water changes 3 or 4 times since the 16th.

For lights I run 4 T5's on Icecap ballasts with IC individual reflectors; one UVL actinic, 2 ati blue plus, and one ati aguablue. Clam did fine under this lighting for months sitting about 16inches from the lights. Now for the past week the clam wouldn't sit on the rock so he sat in the sand at about 20inches. Had him sitting sideways so he got the most light b/c of overhangs from the rocks. I made a little platform for him at 12 inches from the lights and placed him on there today. This is when I saw his color coming off.

Is this something normal from stress or should I look more closely for something else. It could just be stress from the change over but would rather act now rather than later if things start going south fast.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give the most info I could. Oh yeah here is a pic, best I could do.

Old 11/25/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

did you burp it?
Old 11/25/2007, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

I did try to get all the air out of him when putting him in the tank originally. Now he did either this morning, when put on his ledge, or last night expel alot of air out, which I was very surprised about. So could he be loosing his color b/c he had air traped in him for a week?

Last edited by CorradoGuy; 11/25/2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

yeah being out of water for 2 hours would of got alot of air in him.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

How do you burp a clam?

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/25/2007, 10:09 PM
Team RC Member

air inside a clam will not cause central bleaching. if thats a photo of the clam after the water lose incident i would say it looks pretty good. the slight bleaching is probably cause from the clam being lowered and under a ledge for the last week or how ever long its been and now that you've moved it you notice it. i wouldn't worry, the clam looks pretty good

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/26/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was surprised that it did fare so well while being out of water for so long. Just got little worried when I saw the color coming off and like I said would rather do something now rather than later when its too late. And yes that is a pic I took today.

To Jared about burbing a clam. I was told to flip the clam 4 or 5 times to make sure the air bubbles come out.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:33 AM
Team RC Member

burping a clam is fine. you dont want air trapped under the central mantle, it's just not going to be the cause of bleaching.

just a quick how to burp a clam

place the clam in your tank with the mantle pointed up towards the lights and rock it back and forth so that any air that may be trapped under the central mantle can escape through the in-current or ex-current siphon

------------------------------------------------