Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

anyone seen

lettuce nudis around in town for sale?
Old 11/23/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I love those little guys, and might like to add as well.
If you find more than you need please let us know too,'
Thanks,
Chris & Katy
Old 11/24/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Idea for how to clean up algae.

I assume you wanted some lettuce nudibranchs to clean up the algae in your tank. For a full identification of lettuce nudis go to:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=3261

I also had looked for some lettuce nudibranchs at LFSs without luck, to get the hair algae in my tank cleaned up. Premier reef didn't have any, but suggested I buy a seahare, saying it would clean up the algae in no time flat. They said that they had had trouble getting in the seahares and sea cucumbers, but recently had just received an order. I bought one and it cleaned my tank up in about a week! Wow! Premier had said they would buy the seahare back from me for 50% of what I paid, after it ate up all the algae in my tank and was out of "food". I've decided that anything that can do such a great job cleaning up hair algae is worth its weight in gold, so I'm going to keep it and "loan it out" to members of the Rocky Mountain Reef Club. My only requirements are that you have to drive to me to get it (Littleton, CO 80123), and when done with it in a week or so, drive it back to me. If I get enough takers the seahare will eat well. If I don't get enough takers, I will be forced to sell it back to Premier Reef so it doesn't starve.

Interested? Post a reply and I will send you my telephone number and address in a PM.

joegeologist
Old 11/24/2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

FWIW reefscavengers.com has them cheap. shipping is reasonable too i think.

Also, I saw reef and pond on santa fe had one in their nano display....might mean they have more or access to more.

(not sure if this is a violation. Not trying to promote, so much as trying to help fellow reefers)
Old 11/24/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

As long as you don't own, work at or have a financial interest in the shop, promote away!
Old 11/24/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

We would like to Borrow, your sea hare for a 55 with some hair algea, we are in Englewood,
Thanks
Chris & Katy
Old 11/24/2007, 10:41 AM
Anemone Rancher

I know Neptune's had at least one a couple of weeks ago. I haven't looked recently...
Old 11/24/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Hey Joe Geologist, where do you live? I noticed you are in the same ZIP code as me. I'm in Grant Ranch in the Belvedere subdivision. You?
Old 11/24/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

yes as long as you dont work at or have an interest in a lfs you can say something. thats why i havent chimed in
Old 12/15/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

anyone seen

artful-dodger your turn to use the seahare next. Will call.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Loved the use of the Sea Hare, we found him eating hair algae, and cyanobacteria in huge gulps.
Joe let me know when a good time to return it to you, or should I just meet up with Artful-Dodger?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 12/16/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Love the nudi's.. have always thought about getting one, just didnt like the idea of them being so short lived as much as our local LFS was charging for them.

I did how ever get a sickened Tigertail Sea Cucumber (H. impatiens) for free one time from the same overpriced LFS. It was almost gone. All the others had died and where decomposing in the same tank. After the mess was cleared up this one was still in the tank. It stayed there in the same spot for weeks. By the time I had asked about it, it was starting to rot in areas and was very very dark brown. The clerk said I could have it because I wanted to see if I could save the poor little guy. That was a year ago. It is extremely healthy now and thrives in my 33L reef tank.

Got the same deal with a sand shifting star (Astropecten polycanthus). Three of the five legs were gone due to starvation and being picked on by fish. I asked if I could have the star. It has been about 5 months and the star is coming along fine.

Anyway I still want a nudibranch. Not sure if a seahare is right for me being I have nano reefs and the largest tank I have is the 33L. Wouldnt a seahare just outgrow that tank rather quickly?