Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

STN vs. bleaching?

Hey everyone! I purchased a chips acro from ____ and it arrived at 59 degrees. I thought everything was fine, it's now been over two weeks and I've noticed one portion of the base is white. The entire thing was white when I put it in the tank. I'm not sure if it's bleached, recovering, or STN'ing. I've never seen STN or RTN (lucky me) so I don't know how to tell what's happening. I cannot get a picture because it's the frag is on an angle and it's the top side of the coral. To be clear the coral is white on the base, only on the side facing the light. All of the "branches" are fine with good polyp extension. The coral made a huge comeback from when it arrived but I'm worried it might be suffering from the terrible shipping (IMO). Is there a way to tell if it's STN? I know it's not RTN because it's been this way for a few days already. It is stark white, I can't see polyps but my tank is dirty . I'll frag the whole thing if you think that's best. Help me out, please. Thanks. Oh and BTW I did get my money back for the "white" acro.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, just wiped a few spots on the tank off, it does have at least one open polyp in the white section. I changed the oil in the cars today.......a little hesitant to stick my hands in the tank, I washed em about 15 times . Thanks everyone!
Old 12/14/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

got a picture?
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/15/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

I got some shipped that way too!

Is it ok if I ask if mine are screwed in your thread to keep the clutter down?

Old 12/15/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Fine with me. No I don't have a picture. The only way I could get a picture would be by removing the coral. I'll try and describe it as best I can. It's only on one side of the base and is about half an inch wide and tall. I don't think it's spreading but I'm not sure? If it would help I can take it out of the tank and take a picture.......I may end up breaking a frag off today just in case anyway.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

No picture needed. I took it out of the tank and took a closer look, it definitely had some sort of issue....hopefully STN. This brings me to a question, are AEFW big enough to see with a magnifying glass? I've seen red bugs but never a AEFW....are they the same size as most flatworms? One thing that's making me feel better is the fact that another coral that came in with the same shipment is doing the same thing.....so I think this is a temp. issue and not a pest issue. I examined the snot out of the frag and noticed nothing other than missing tissue. Please help me out......I'm kind of freaking out. Thanks. BTW I fragged the frag to try and save some of it. I'm off to post in the "sponsers" section to let them know I'm NOT happy about this.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I called the supplier and they refunded everything.....shipping included. I called immediately when the corals arrived because they came in at such a cold temp. The only reason I got a refund is because I called the same day I got the corals........my warrantee has expired but they still gave me all of my money back. So now that I see it on the other coral I got that day is there anything I can do to save it? I can try fragging it, will that do me any good? Thanks.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

To bump this......is fragging going to do me any good? Lets just pretend this is STN (pretty sure on that). I already ripped one coral to shreds, it's fine BTW......polyps are out, tomorrow the other one is getting the same treatment unless it's pointless. This is NOT RTN for sure. I don't think it's AEFW since it's only on two corals that came in at 59 degrees. Thanks, kind of freaked out