Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 01:55 PM
Guardian of Little People

8 is enough

I am on a local United Way board, and an agency we help fund has solicited our help to find a home for a mother and her 5 children.

Think about this:

The mother doesn't have a high school degree, and has 5 kids (at least) by two different fathers. The youngest is 5, the oldest is 15.

The four oldest kids are from the same dad. He has 4 other kids (at least 8 kids in total) that live with him, so he "can't" care for the kids. However, he has said his parents will take them in. However, he wants to see what social services will PAY his parents to watch HIS KIDS. If social services won't pay anything, his parents won't take them (slightly understandable if they have no money, but supposedly the parents are "professional people".

So here we have one parent (the dad) who already has 8 kids and can't support any of them (he is on social aid). The other parent (dear old mom) has 5 kids that she "supports" by working part-time at a local fast food joint. She is more than willing to let 4 of the kids go live in foster care if the deal with their grandparents doesn't work out.

I can't think like these people do.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 12/03/2007, 01:59 PM
Team RC Member

A little snip could fix that.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Brian: I think you should take the kids in. I'm sure you can find an extra room for them.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

this woman is famous in the uk she is pulling in $80,000 dollars a year in government aid and refuses to work.

their are even more extreme cases in the uk they get houses, money the lot.

often they have to have houses specially built or modified.

breeding should be licenced i say.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
A little snip could fix that.
chemical castration.

Old 12/03/2007, 02:05 PM

David, I know you are joking, but I have been solicited to be a foster parent in the past. I don't have the personality for it. I would have a kid for 2 weeks and never be able to let them go.

Old 12/03/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
David, I know you are joking, but I have been solicited to be a foster parent in the past. I don't have the personality for it. I would have a kid for 2 weeks and never be able to let them go.
a guy in my work and his wife have fostered hundreds of kids over the years i dont know how he does it.

some of the stories he has told me are frightening and other heart warming of course.

Old 12/03/2007, 02:08 PM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewsmart
chemical castration.
I agree... with the rate the US is having kids, we're going to turn out like China.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/03/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
I agree... with the rate the US is having kids, we're going to turn out like China.
you have a good way to go yet.

i am serious about licensing in the uk at least.

girls here at 16 have a choice get a job or get pregnant and get a flat and a wage from the government.

lots take the second option no father in site might not even know who it is and the kid is the one who suffers.

Old 12/03/2007, 03:37 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Oh, I am sooooo not the person to talk about how social services should be involved. And I probably shouldn't write this...

But when I sit here and completely go through 15+ years of medical/dental bills from my husband & his ex to prove that he has paid his half of everything because "they" didn't keep track of it...

And I sit here while they battle over his past due child support because his ex won't agree to lesser then $1000 a month since he quit his job in June, which by the way was based on 2 dependent children under the age of 18 on his old income. One of whom had graduated & turned 18 before he quit his job, so support should have dropped immediately. She would not agree to take any less, in step lawyer, support goes into arrears because he doesn't make enough to take out the full $1000 a month, so Wisconsin Social Services puts a lean on ALL of husband's property, and prevents him from getting any kind of loan.

So needless to say I am very upset that his assets are my assets going into Christmas & the very cold winter with the high cost of fuel & heat! Boy, I can't believe the state would sacrifice our 4 small children & myself for a stupid battle of greed! Like I said to SS. Would you like to come to my house & explain to my kids why they are going to have a very sad Christmas!

People need to get their heads out of their rears & think before they get married & divorced!!!!

Melting!
Old 12/03/2007, 04:13 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
So adopt them.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/03/2007, 04:18 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:

Ummm, no. Just the opposite.

U.S. Birth Rate Hits All-Time Low

Continuing a 12-year decline, the U.S. birth rate has dropped to the lowest level since national data have been available, according to statistics just released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The rate of births among teenagers also fell to a new record low, continuing a decline that began in 1991.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...abirthrate.htm

Too old for women to care
Old 12/03/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
Ummm, no. Just the opposite.

U.S. Birth Rate Hits All-Time Low

Continuing a 12-year decline, the U.S. birth rate has dropped to the lowest level since national data have been available, according to statistics just released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The rate of births among teenagers also fell to a new record low, continuing a decline that began in 1991.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...abirthrate.htm
Well I made my contribution of 3

Edit: Oops, my contribution was before the decline

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~

Last edited by crp; 12/03/2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:47 PM

I have been on boards for Big Brothers, United Way, Kiwanis, various other organizations such as these, and sometimes you just get frustrated because so many children need help, and usually they are put in that position because of stupid parents.

I drive by a middle school and an elementary school every morning, and you would be amazed at the number of kids that will be walking to school in shorts/t-shirt in the dead of winter. I always wonder if it is because the parents are already at work and the kids get themselves ready for school, or if the parents are home and they are just too stupid to care.

Old 12/03/2007, 04:50 PM

Oh, and do you want a good cry? Go to an elementary school when little girls receive free coats and gloves from the annual coat drive for needy kids. These little girls get a second-hand coat and gloves and their eyes light up like they won a million dollars. I see this and then I talk to clients who make $2 million a year and complain about not having enough cash to pay their taxes.

This is not a fair world.

Old 12/03/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
Well I made my contribution of 3

Edit: Oops, my contribution was before the decline
well you know what to do about that.

break out the tequila

Old 12/03/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Brian, none of us can think like those people. They don't think. They like their "happy time" too much to think about the possible outcomes.

This is yet another reason why I hate celebrities who spend so much time and money helping the rest of the world when their home country has so many needy children. I am a firm believer in helping our own, before we help the rest of the world.
Old 12/03/2007, 06:01 PM
taaa daaa

Quote:

I drive by a middle school and an elementary school every morning, and you would be amazed at the number of kids that will be walking to school in shorts/t-shirt in the dead of winter. I always wonder if it is because the parents are already at work and the kids get themselves ready for school, or if the parents are home and they are just too stupid to care.
Sometimes believe it or not it is the childs choice. When my daughters were in grade 2 and grade 5 we lived in grande praire alberta where the temp got down to -42F . I spent my afternoons forcing (yes forcing) kids to do up their coats and put on their mitts before heading outside to walk home. It's hard for an 11 yr old to look cool in a snowsuit I guess
Old 12/03/2007, 06:06 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
So adopt them.
What he said!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/03/2007, 06:11 PM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by marie
Sometimes believe it or not it is the childs choice. When my daughters were in grade 2 and grade 5 we lived in grande praire alberta where the temp got down to -42F . I spent my afternoons forcing (yes forcing) kids to do up their coats and put on their mitts before heading outside to walk home. It's hard for an 11 yr old to look cool in a snowsuit I guess
My Mom knows how you feel. She was always fighting with me in Calgary to put on a hat before I walked to school. I ended up with frostbite several times before I decided to deal with the static hair and wear one!
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/03/2007, 06:14 PM
taaa daaa

Quote:
My Mom knows how you feel. She was always fighting with me in Calgary to put on a hat before I walked to school. I ended up with frostbite several times before I decided to deal with the static hair and wear one!

My daughters knew better then to argue, it was all the other children heading out the door that I had to stop and redress
Old 12/03/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I admit, I was a stupid kid when it came to wearing hats and coats. But there is a huge difference between the kids that have the hats and coats but don't want to wear them because they aren't "cool", and the kids who don't have them because their parent(s) don't care.
Old 12/03/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, and do you want a good cry? Go to an elementary school when little girls receive free coats and gloves from the annual coat drive for needy kids. These little girls get a second-hand coat and gloves and their eyes light up like they won a million dollars. I see this and then I talk to clients who make $2 million a year and complain about not having enough cash to pay their taxes.

This is not a fair world.

So Brian how much tax does a person making $2 million pay?
Old 12/03/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by english83
I admit, I was a stupid kid when it came to wearing hats and coats. But there is a huge difference between the kids that have the hats and coats but don't want to wear them because they aren't "cool", and the kids who don't have them because their parent(s) don't care.
I was at Menards the other morning and standing in line waiting to check out. Due to the amount of people there we used the garden checkout lines. It was very cold, half way through the line they change cashier. A girl came out in only a sweater , no coat to work checkout. You could tell she was all about looking good and not about keeping her self warm. Just one example.
Old 12/03/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

i haven't been teaching long, but i could write a fews books. let's see we've got stupid kids, stupid parents, students with needs, students with no clue those kids exist, unfortunate cases where the system focuses on the wrong family.....