Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

feeding Spectrun pellets.....is it enough?

I believe new life Spectrum Threa A is a great quality marine fish food....but is it enough for 90% of my feeding? I would use mysis 1-2 X a week.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

You should mix it up more than that... I know the maker claims it is all he feeds his fish, and they're doing great, but certain fish have certain needs. I don't think one food can possibly cover all of it (It's still a great food though). What kind of fish do you have? That would help more in knowing what they need to eat.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I have tangs, a trigger, lionfish and a clown. I have been feeding Spectrum and frozen Ocean Nutrition Formula 2. as well as Spurilinia and Mysis and blodd worms.
BUt my thought is there is so much less mess and loss with pellets then the frozen..especially the mysis and blood worms...
What if I used pellet Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 & 2 as well as Spectrum. I really want to keep wast to a min.
LukFox I am impressed with your responce with the owner of Spectrum...that is exactly what he said.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

I have a Maroon Clown pair, purple pseudochromis and a Coral Beauty. I feed them 13 different types of food and occasionally use 2 different vitamin supplements.

They are: Formula 1 and 2 flake, Prime reef flake, Spirulina flake, Cyclopeeze wafer (flake), Brine shrimp flakes, Tetra Marin pro, New life Spectrum marine pellets.

Usually feed frozen: Brine shrimp, plankton, mysis, marine cuisine, or Rod's food, occasionally soaked in Selcon or VitaChem.

The fish are very healthy and my Maroon Clown just started laying eggs.

I've read that in the wild, these fish eat a lot of different things to acquire all the necessary vitamins, minerals and nutrients they need. So I keep a lot of food on hand. If I find another high quality food, I'll probably buy it too.

So to answer your question, I'd probably get a few more foods and a vitamin supplement just to be on the safe side. It can't hurt.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

thanks!