Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2006, 05:45 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

More updates on onyx from Rod

I lost the other thread sorry...

Month by month updates! My onxy is slow to color up.

Please post your updated pictures also!!!!!!

Feb when I got the clown

March

May

June

July

August

September

Today
Old 11/06/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

man yours is doing so much better than mine...

mine is from the same batch and his black between 2 and 3 is just starting to grow outwards a little... in fact im starting to wonder if he will fill in there... but his front looks exactly the same
Old 11/07/2006, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

mine are from your batch also. the female has just completed her tail stripe and the black is nearly complete. my male is just starting his tail stripe. I notice that your male has a much more reddish color to him than your female. mine is the same way. the male is a bright vermillion color and the female is more of a subdued orange color. I wonder what causes this and if a lot of Rod's offspring develop like this.
Old 11/07/2006, 11:13 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

My female is WC she is not from Rod.

Not saying anything bad I know alot of people do it.. but I just cant pair brother and sister... its just wrong.

Your's will fill in! ...what are you feeding it? Mine get mostly cyclopeeze, I think good foods help alot. My WC female was almost yellow when I get her & all the cyclopeeze has given her better orange color.. I'm hoping she'll continue to improve her orange color too!

How about some pics guys, since they seem to have come from the same time frame! lets see how everyone else's is coloring up!!!! I love seeing rod's clown pics!
Old 11/07/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

my camera crapped out so I cant get any recent pics. mostly she has been feed on a diet of mysis and formula 2 flake that she steals from my tang and angel. I have recently picked up a can of cyclopeeze to color her up some though.
Old 11/07/2006, 03:10 PM
Lazy reefer

Jovreefer,
How big was your clown when you got him, and how big is he now? I got 5 from Rod several weeks ago. They are in my 24 g. I am setting up other tanks so they are just all in there temporary. They were doing OK until today, then they really going after each other today. I may have to separate them earlier than expected.
Mine were 1 inch or slightly less (I asked Rod to send me small ones). None have their third bar yet. They are very beautiful, great shape and great body conformation. I am really happy with them. I don't have a camera here in my office, so I have not take any picture yet.
Minh
Old 11/07/2006, 03:48 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

he was definatly under an inch when I got him. Just for size comparison in the "march" pic ... those are regular zoa's... he is about as long as 2 of them in that pic. as far as how big he is now... I'm horrible at that kind of guessing but he's definatly at least doubled in size.

the are definatly agressive little buggers arnt they! lol ... I had the hardest time pairing him because he kept attacking the first female back so she would beat the crap out of him. second female worked great though, she never attacked him so he never attacked back.

You should definatly keep a picture log of the color... its amazing how fast they can color up!
Old 11/07/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

ill get some pics up for you..... soon? my camera took a dip in the pool when my one of my brothers thought it would be funny to put me in with my blackberry and cam in hand... luckily he is paying for everything...

i feed him mostly formula 1 pellets, but throw in frozen mysis and freeze dried CE one or two times a week... i only have the 2 fish and one peppermint shrimp for major food consumers so i dont like to feed CE/mysis too much because it fouls the water fairly quickly - even with my remora pro running 24/7... i bet i can find a pic or two of him from the old days though...

or maybe not... a short search shows that my old hosting site: www.reefbucket.com doesnt exist anymore... man its definitely time to buy myself some webspace... i have pics at home ill find them and post after class tonight
Old 12/19/2006, 01:28 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

DOH! I'm slacking!

November

Old 12/19/2006, 01:31 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

December! ALLLLMMMOOOSTTT there!

Old 12/19/2006, 02:49 PM
clownfish fan

looking good i hope my female gets her third white stripe soon
Old 01/20/2007, 05:59 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

More updates!!! I could not waite till Feb to take the pics. I have dark color connecting!!!!!!! ok... its a VERY tiny amount but I've got my fingers crossed that the feb. pic will have full onyx colors!
Old 01/21/2007, 03:42 PM
clownfish fan

allright looks good
Old 12/14/2007, 10:15 AM
clownfish fan

any recent updates jov?
Old 12/14/2007, 12:29 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

This fish went thru a horrible battle at a pairing attempt & is not really picture worthy anymore I'm hoping with enough time it will heal completly but right now I'm just suprised its still alive.