Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

OK I'm In - another "'new guy"'

First post test...
Jon,
Thanks for your recommendation (met u at the store, I picked up that orange diamond gobie)- anyhow, the site and forum are great - hope to make the meeting on Monday - but may not be able to. Will eventually post a few better pics of my "blank canvas" - in the meantime they are here (but quality had to be dropped a ton to upload)

My Pics

Hope the links work never used this site b4.
Looking forward to the DRC - glad to see there are so many locals interested in the hobby.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Almost forgot to give proper credit - Brian P. (listed as DRC member on the website) set it all up for me - found the custom stand and did the hook-up and aquascaping, his company (aquatica) is great.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:50 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Hope you don't mind I posted your pics

Old 11/14/2007, 08:44 AM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Hey,welcome. Glad you found your way in. Got to love when you have a new tank ready for new life. Hope to see you at the meeting.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

welcome!!! hope to see ya out at a store
Old 11/14/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks a1amap for getting the pics posted. And thanks all for the welcome. I know its bare right now, but i can't wait to learn more about corals and start getting the right ones for my tank. I looked up the dr. mac site based on recommendations...nice stuff...but limited info on specimen needs like drsfosterandsmith.com, anybody know a good reliable hobby coral info site and/or book? Probably some info on this forum...haven't had a decent amount of time to really check it out.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

www.saltwaterfish.com

\tell you just about everything rite next to the item if its reef safe and its needs (lighting food ect.)
Old 11/14/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

I have a copy of Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman... one of my favorite coral books. If I ever make it to a meeting I will be sure to bring it along for everyone to look through.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Welcome to the club Mikwar! We are always glad to meet new people who have found the forum and the way of the Reef. it's our virtual window to the world. and we enjoy mingling with all who join us. Yes your rock pile looks a little bare, right now, but in time things will grow, colonize,and you will transplant new life forms and a whole new universe will be created in your tank for your critters to grow and thrive in. it takes time, selection, and patience. but before you know it, you might have a tank like mine, so over croweded that you cant even see in the dang front glass anymore. top down viewing only.

well , that only means just one thing..... time for a bigger tank!

We look forward to meeting you at the..?.?.?. meeting.
Old 11/15/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

thanks again all. tat2, that site is great, would u order from them or is dr. mac better? hope to see you all at next mtg.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikwar
thanks again all. tat2, that site is great, would u order from them or is dr. mac better? hope to see you all at next mtg.

i have and it has always been good but i never ordered from dr mac but its close enough to drive and get something extra in place of the shipping. i might go there this weekend
Old 11/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I love the rock work Mikwar! cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:35 PM

mikwar,
probably the best book to pick up I would say is "The Reef Aquariuam" by Julian Sprung and J. Delbeek. I have been to Julians talks before, pretty smart guy. The big will cost you a little bit, but is for sure filled with 99% of the details you'll need to run a beautiful reef tank.

Probably the only other great resource I can mention here, because of Reef Centrals censorship(not allowed to mention many other sites on here), would be talkingreef.com You could listen to them for hours and learn a lot.

Perhaps this could be a great upcoming topic at a reef club meeting. Where everyone got the best information they needed to run there reef tanks.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:41 PM

Yes, the rock work does look nice I agree. Did you say you had convict gobys in there? Would scare me a bit having any of them in with such tall rock work. Are the pieces attached to each other in any way?
Old 11/15/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

The single set of books i learned the most from are The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium set. they are expensive but they sure do give you alot of the information you need.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:48 PM

Hum, I havn't heard of the authors. This is the one my mean right? http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Coral-R.../dp/3928819291 I am pretty sure I have seen it in a couple of stores.

I learned most of my stuff from the web.
Old 11/16/2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like i need to get to amazon.com and start ordering some books!

Also, Yes, unfortunately a mistake on my part, I have two types of digging gobies, convict and the diamond watchman. I bought the diamond wathcman on purpose as you know, but I thought the convict gobies were neons at the time - that was my bad. There are many platform levels on top of large "boulder" shaped liverock, but no epoxy or anything holding this together. Gravity has already made it's mark, some of the non sturdy platform rock had shifted to better positions early on while i was in the tank more frequently tweaking things and removing hair algae. It will have to be a wait and see, they have already done a ton of digging without damage. The boulder liverock on the bottom are pretty big, so far it has been enough room for them to dig tunnels without jeopordizing the positioning.

Last edited by mikwar; 11/16/2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11/16/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Gordonious, yes those are the books i was talking about. Svein A. Fossa, and Alf Jacob Nilsen have written many books between the two of them. they are european which may be the reason you havent heard of them. they write alot on wetwebmedia.com, and i have followed a few of their threads here on reefcentral over the years. and if you havent checked those books out( The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium), just give them a quick look over the next time your at dr. mac's, and you may leave his facility with a book instead of a coral! i believe he has a copy of vol. 1 just to the left when you walk in the door.
Old 11/16/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

another good one that came out a couple of years back is A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species by by Scott W. Michael
and the coral pocket guide too!
A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species (Paperback)
by Ronald L. Shimek
These two books dont go TOO in depth about individual species, but they do give alot of information. I personally like it for its size. You can easily take it into a LFS and look up individual corals or fish, and get alot of information on the animal even before asking someone for help. in my opinion a must have book.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:55 PM

The two pocket guides are like my bible, lol. We use that at work at well all the time. I wish Ron would update his, but I have a feeling he won't as he has retired. He is still fairly active in the hobby.