Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

skimmer takes out saltwater? how can i just top off then

hi i have an aqua c remore pro with a mag 3 on my 55g.

im losing about an inch of water a week and this isn't due to evaporation because the weather in NY is now cool.

well maybe the lights contribute but they are only PC's

so people do weekly top-offs, filling the tank with FRESH water to replace water due to evaporation

but i dump out a ton of water from the collection cup.

that is dirty saltwater in it and not fresh so if i just pour fresh water in my tank...the salinity would steadily drop, correct?
Old 09/24/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

well first, you are losing water to evaporation. short of it being in 100% humidity(you wouldnt want to be in the house because it would be 1 big peice of mildew) water always evaporates. moving water, and heated water evaporates even faster.

but your right, you will lose some salt.

just check your salinity each time you do a water change, and if you find it to be low, like you want 1.25, and its 1.24; next water change mix up a batch of 1.27 and it'll all balance out to 1.25. give or take.
Old 09/24/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Syddakyd...If I'm reading this thread correctly...are you having an issue with the skimmer pulling out lots of water form your tank? If this is the case, my suggestion is to adjust the collection cup of your skimmer. I have a Aqua C Remora on my 24 gallon and I now adjust the cup so that the o-ring is 1/4" from the base of the cup. This will allow a longer contact time in the neck of the skimmer...in return dry foamy froth will develop in your collection cup.

On the other hand, if you're having evaporation issues, check the clearance you have between your light fixture and water surface. The lights maybe too close to the water surface not allowing any space for a cool draft to develop at the water's surface...this could be the issue. I hope this information helps you out.
Old 09/24/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Just pour the collection cup back into the tank. j/k