Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Sick Jawfish...please Help

Hey guys. I have a spot fin jawfish and over the past day I realized that both his eyes have glazed over. I'm pretty sure it's cloudy eye. The problem is, my tank is in my room at college and I'm going home tomorrow. I have friends that are going to feed them but I don't think they can handle treating the jawfish. What's my best option....I know most meds you want to treat the fish in a separate tank and do a water change.....do i let him be or put medication in the tank and leave or do I try to take him home in a 5 gallon tank i have....5 hour ride....thanks!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

try your local reef club and beg for help from someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:43 PM
clams are your friends.

If it's eating, just leave it alone and keep your fingers crossed. If it's not eating, uhhhh... just leave it alone and keep your fingers crossed. The stress of trying to catch and QT it at this point would probably be too much for it.

As someone who only succeeded in getting only one healthy jawfish after 3 tries, I can attest to their fragility when first introduced. The spotted jaws are the hardest ones, too.