Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

ich on powder blue tang help

for about two days my tang has ich white spots on his body i checked water levels they are ok . i have yellow tang ,demsils four cleaner shrimps, fire shrimp,tank is two months old and everything has been ok till two days ago . can i add anything to the tank without killing fish or just wait, maybe will clear out.I can't take him out because i can't catch him too much rock and net is getting stock lol.
please help out thanks Adam.
Old 03/13/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

IMO the best way to fight ich is hyposalinity. You should be treating all fish in your tank. This means you have to get a hospital tank big enough for all those fish. A diff option would be to remove all your rock and inverts and keep that in a seperate container while you treat your fish in the main tank.
Many wait and hope the fish can fight it off themselves. Ich is only visible during one stage in its life cycle so it is possible your other fish are infected and you dont know it. Its also very possible that they will soon be infected if they arent already.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

i only have three corals can i take them out and treat the fish. can i leave rock in?
Old 03/13/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Kraze and treat with hypo either the fish in a large enough QT or put the rock and coral in a qt and treat the tank. Remember if you do treat fish in seperate qt you will need to let the tank run fallow for 6 weeks. Also, IMO your tank is way new for a PBT, these are very hard fish to keep alive and generally speaking have a very high mortality rate. I think a powder brown a much better fish for newer tank.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

couple things how long will take to treat the fish and what is IMO and PBT sorry im new to this . what would cause this ich.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

IMO = In My Opinion
PBT = Powder Blue Tang

The fish need to stay in hypo for 6 weeks after you see the last spot disappear. I had 5 fish go through hypo for 9 weeks. The Ich probably came into your aquarium from adding new fish, corals,inverts, rock, just about anything. Ich need fish as hosts but it can go along for the ride on anything else. Have you added anything new lately?
Old 03/13/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

yes i did 5 snails 2 cleaner shrimps and green goby that is after tang.
don't i need to treat live rock and sand too? or just fish.
Old 03/13/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

tank is new i have 8 fish 4 cleaner shrimps. 10 turbo snails 10 red crabs and fire shrimp.