Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Question how long for quarantine

how long does everyone quarantine their fish before they introduce it into their main tank. I typically do it for 30 days was just wondering if that was excessive or if no signs of illness if they could be introduced sooner.

I have 2 tangs about 3" in a 46 gallon bowfront quarantine that are miserable.. they are both eating well, very active, no signs of illness and the small tank is stressing them out. I was wondering if it would be ok to add them to my main tank early. I have had them just over 2 weeks in quarantine they came from the divers den.

thanks in advance for your responses appreciate the help.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:51 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Why do you say they are miserable?
Old 11/22/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Why do you say they are miserable?
same question I was asking myself. When these fish are at the vendors, I seriously doubt that the vendors have 120+ gallon stock tanks to have 1 or 2 tangs in. I'm sure the have like 40 (the biggest) stock tanks and they probably have more than 2 tangs in one of these.

If they are active and eating I don't think that equals to stress. Qting them in a 45 gallon they will be fine until you put them into your DT. If you are planning on leaving them in the 45 for the duration of there life then they may stress.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

it's hard to explain but maybe i shouldn't have put it quite that way but it just seems like when they try to swim in bursts from one side of the tank when they get to the other side it is almost like they are looking for more room just go back and forth on the sides. yes I know it sounds crazy but again it is hard to explain. Guess i am just being an little overly cautious my LFS said the 46 gallon was just too small to quarantine tangs that size in.
'
In general how long do your quarantine your fish?
Old 11/22/2007, 08:38 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

46 gallon is plenty large for two 3" fish. You should QT no less than4-6 weeks.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

ok thanks fred.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I think the Quarantine time depends on the Live stock that is being quarantined.

This question is a bit opinionated. I am sure if you get enough people to chime in on this everyone will have there own opinions about the time period. You are the one w/ the Live stock and you should monitor their behaviors.

I quarantine 98% of the live stock that is in my tank. In my newbie stage, once my cycle was complete, I just had to have some fish in my tank. Couldn't wait for a QT session. The fish was a tang and it got ich, then I had qt'd him and I was fishless for a couple months. SO now I quarantine every time.

Back to your question, my opinion would be to undergo a mini session of Hypo, just to make sure there is no ich present, maybe for about a week and raise the salinty up over a few days or so. Once the salinity matches your DT monitor their eating habits for another week. If all is well I would say introduce them to your DT within 3 weeks.

Again I am sure someone or even you will say that I am an idiot and you should keep them in QT for 6 wks. or more. Again I think its up to you.

If they are eating, being active, no signs of stress, I say go ahead and introduce them, but i still think the 46 gallon is alright for the QT and no worries w/ the fish, if they are unhappy they will let you know.

If they are showing signs of stress then you want to keep them in there UNTIL THEY DON'T SHOW SIGNS OF STRESS.

I am new to this. I have put a ton of hours reading about this hobby. I am nowhere the expert. I do know that alot of things in this hobby is PERSONAL OPINION.

Take my advice for what its worth and flush the rest down the toilet.

Last edited by lilchris; 11/22/2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

thanks lilchris, I wasn't home when they were delivered so I wasn't able to do a freshwater dip as I typically do before I put them in quarantine but they did spend a week in hyposalinity and I have just been slowing raising the salinity a little at a time with each water change I have done.

I also usually do a 5 day treatment of lifeguard which pretty much covers any type of parasitic or bacterial infections I haven't done that with this tank though because of the liverock I have in there that has some dusters and some porcelain crabs and the lifeguard is not invert safe.

I never introduce fish into my system without quarantine it is just a chance I am not willing to take. I have spent tooo much $ and time to risk it w/bringing some unwanted problem in there..I have 3 qt tanks right now that are working me to death just to be on the safeside.

other than the possible stress I mentioned before they both seem to be healthy as can be, nice full stomachs, no signs of ich at all, eating well, and good color. I am thrilled, I finally got my yellow belly blue hippo, I had a couple tiny regals before and they didn't make it so it is relief to see this one doing so well..

I am definitely going to keep them in there for longer, considering I am not yet at full salinity I really cant be safe in saying they are ich free. thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by tangafish; 11/22/2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I don't want to upset you, but if you use hyposalinity, you need to do it for at least 3 to 4 weeks. It will only kill the free swiming, newly hatched ick before it attaches to your fish. I started to use LifeGard last year on a couple of $500 plus fish, it did no harm. I only mention the price to show I am serious about QT my fish.
I used it on a couple of butterfly's and somehow they still came down with a little ick. I have gone back to COPPER or at least 4-6 weeks hypo.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

john it takes alot to upset me and you just did it...no just kidding
i started this thread because i want different opinions, experiences and perspectives on quarantine procedures and that is just what i am getting so no harm no foul. i appreciate the replies
Old 11/22/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

This is what I do: 1) when fish arrive, place in bucket and give a 45 minute formulin bath. The place in a small tank 10 - 15 gallons (makes it easier to dose the meds) and lower the salinity to 1.09 to 1.15 over several days. For the first 3 - 4 days add metronidazole, full dose each day, I do a 90% water change each day, since the QT tank does not have a biofilter or has a small piece of cellpore from another tank.
After 3 to 4 days stop the metronidazole, give a formulin bath again and start prazipro for 5 days. Then, move the fish up to 29 g and add a biofilter (cellpore from another tank). Keep at low salinity for a total of at least 3 weeks then gradually raise it up over several days. There is always a seachem ammonia alert on the tank so I do not have to test the water for ammonia, may have to change it twice a day in the smaller tank.
As far as feeding, feed the fish a little bit several times a day (3-6 times) or every time you check on it.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

That is a QT session. I think w/ $500 fish I would do it to. But you are still at about 5 1/2 weeks of Qt. I guess what my argument is what ever works for you. THe process that JD does may not work for you or Vice versa.