Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:14 PM
_

opinions wanted on cheap HQI reflectors from hellolights

Hello,
Does anyone have these inexpensive reflectors listed on hello lights? I am in the market for 3 double ended bulb reflectors. These at $40 a piece blows away the average $100 or so price I see for others. What is the catch?

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1401

Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

The catch is limited spread and hot hot spot in the area under the bulb. Not a good choice for MH lighting only or MH with weak flourescent supplementation. It is a decent reflector if you are also going to have some T5's that can also provide some par in front and behind the reflectors to light the areas beyond that where the MH is not very effective. Basically, if you plan on doing a DIY halide + T5 combo lighting in a canopy, it is a usable reflector but for doing halide only on the cheap, you will quickly find out why they are 1/3 the price of a quality reflector.

Spend the extra up front. You will get better coverage for less than you think when you consider that you would need twice as many of these reflectors to cover the area that 1/2 as many quality reflectors would cover. Plus, the lighting would still be inferior with using 2X the cheapies because of the hot spots among other things. I have used these before. I used them along with 4 T5's and they are decent in that application. Much like the affordable (relatively) combo fixtures from Current and Aquamedic. I would never have considered using them for halide only.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:06 PM
_

Thank you for the great response DarG! My tanks dimensions are 72x18x25. I had hoped to run three 250mh with VHO for supplement. From your writings I assume these reflectors would not work well for me. Here I am trying to save money once again in this hobby... Atleast this new tank I have learned from past ones to ask about cheaper equipment before purchase so i do not have to replace it later. I guess I will hunt down some Lumenarc III Mini Stealth DE reflectors.
Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

It will definitely save you in the long run to do it right the first time. The only additional cost is the reflectors and its a one time expense so for about 200 bucks more at the start you wont have to worry about your lighting quality at all because of poor reflectors.