Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

slick limewater reactor

Thought I'd share this with everyone, since I enjoy going through the DIY section almost as much as reefkeeping itself. (And I know I'm not the only one)

For abut $100 I ended up creating this reactor, pump included.

The picture above shows the parts that I used to make the downspout. I used !/2 cpvc pipe, 2 3/4" unions for just one part(you can save at least $8 if you but these pieces separately) I chose the unions 'cause the lip on these pieces are bigger than the ones you fine separate. Two 1/2" bushings and 1 other piece that I don't know the name.

I used my dremel tool with the sanding drum to get the piece to fit, just tight enough to put on with your hand. Same thing for the other piece.

Here's a shot of what it looks like glued together. The middle part was also trimmed at the end for a better fit.
I got more pics that I'll post soon.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12/26/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

For the top part of the canister, I used a wood boring drill to make a couple of holes for the intake and return. The holes were then tapped to fit the quick connect fittings. I also drilled two holes and a smi circle in the mounting bracket.

Here is the bottom side. I once again used the dremel tool to sand down a piece of toubing to get it to fit inside the quick connect fitting. You can also see an O ring that I used from the union.

I tapped the strainer that came with the MJ and covered the pipe.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

This was the trickiest part of the build and I was sceptical at first as to weather or not it would work. I first used a 1/2 die to put threads on the intake of the MJ cover.(needs to be done slowly so to not break the threads) Then I test fitted it and determined that one end of the elbow needed to be cut by 3/16 to get the pipe to align to the connectors.
The red pipe is from a Tinker Toy set that has been cut to size, drilled removing it's inner stiffener, and glued to the pump with a marine two part epoxy. There is also a plastic white tube that was drilled to accept the red tube creating an extender. Finally I used a square nut and machine bolt to fasten the pump to the mounting bracket.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:04 AM
Huge Member

Where did you get the canister?

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/26/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Do you have to prime the pump?

Nice job.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Snowboarda42,
Got the canister from h2ofilter.net along with the mounting bracket. Should have gotten the wrench.

ctreefer,
Yes it needs to be primed. I just tilt the canister sideways for a couple seconds. Once it's primed and running on a timer, it should hold the water indefinitely. I had it primed and let it sit for a couple days before turning back on the pump, and it still worked with only a few small bubbles at start up.
Thanks for the compliment
Old 12/26/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Great looking reactor. Nice job. I like it a lot.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:12 PM
El Jefe de WRS

You dont want the pump intake to sit so high in the chamber... add an extension tube to get it further down, like half the height of the chamber. You dont want the whole chamber to mix with the kalk when the pump is on... or you could end up putting kalk right into the tank.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Theexp, thanks

hahnmeister,
True...right now I have it hooked up with a switch to were I only turn it on for about ten seconds a day. It raises the slurry to about half of the canister. I'm going to try a MJ 400 and a few other things before I go with the tube.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:50 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Very nice project documentation.
And very similar to one I've been putting together for a few months now. Except my big canister will be bottom force-fed fed from the pump pressure in my RO/DI water storage vat (Brute). That way water feeds in from the bottom and has to pass thru the kalk and exits at the top of the canister. No need for agitation/recirc pump. I'll post pix if I ever get it completed.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Guy
I'm also working on a media reactor that works almost the same way. I guess that this kalk one could even be used as a calcium reactor if you just added a strainer and sponge at the bottom.

BTW your avatar cracks me up!
someone needs to make a smiley face to resemble it.