Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2004, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Lighting Opinions - 200 Gal

Actually, I think it works out to closer to 194 gallons

Tank dimensions are 72x24x26. Was originally to be a 180, but had them make it a couple inches taller.

It will be an in-wall tank, and while the room and wall are not yet ready I want to get the remaining equipment determined and start getting a few things ordered each month.

Can everyone give opinions on what they would use for lighting, first assuming SPS only at the middle/top, and what lighting for SPS down to the bottom?

I just wanted to start tossing ideas around in my empty head so I may actually have a decision before it's time to buy

TIA
Old 10/28/2004, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Oh, looking mostly for the number and wattage of MH lights. Also, I don't want double ended.
Old 10/28/2004, 03:23 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

i wouls say 3 mh 250's or 400's cuz of the extra depth... i have 3 250's on a 72x24x24 then 2 160w vhos
Old 10/28/2004, 03:45 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

26" tall I'd think about the DE 250's. Should be go for SPS in most levels but maybe not in the sand. No matter what you do for halides I'd get either T5 blueplus or VHO actinics so you can sit and zone at the tank in dusk/dawn mode.
Old 10/28/2004, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Why not Double ended? just curious..
Old 10/28/2004, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I plan to add some actinics for just that reason

I may reconsider the DE's. The last time I looked it just didn't seem like there was as big an array of brands, wavelengths, etc. and I may want to play with it some until I find just what I like. I honestly haven't looked in a while though.

Thanks!

Derrikd, I am thinking of aquascaping the rock where it is higher on each end, and more exposed sand in the center as well. Maybe a 250 on each end and a 400 in the center to reach to the bottom there better? The ends I could keep any SPS up higher, but use the deeper areas or under ledges for other things that wont be happy with all the light?

Then again, knowing how much I like rock, the thing will be full end to end, LOL.
Old 10/28/2004, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

crzy_pig,

Besides the above, the DE scare me I've heard so many that had problems just changing the bulbs without breaking them. I'm also not completely decided if I want to go with a new fixture or build something myself. If I build it myself I would have to worry about UV as much with the SE, keeping the engineering more within my grasp
Old 10/28/2004, 04:06 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

that sounds like a good plan then on the edges also if you wanted to add some, lower light, shrooms or rics, then in the middle some clams..
Old 10/28/2004, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

OMG, don't get the wife going on clams!

I intend to get an angel. Not decided between my two favorites, lemon peel or flame yet, but while I'll roll the dice and hope they don't bother the coral, don't they ALL pretty much nip at clam mantles?

I HAVE considered making a new stand for our existing 55 and putting it upstairs directly over the fish room, sharing the sump, and keeping a clam or two up there, but that's another project to worry about later
Old 10/29/2004, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Ok, after reading around RC and checking e-tailer's sites, I decided to go with DE. A 400 in the middle and a 250 on each side. Now I just need to pick the brand and bulbs

Thanks!
Old 10/29/2004, 09:33 AM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

yea, angels are a toss up more on the nipping side, i have a clam in my tank with angels and so far so good....

sounds like a good plan on the lights... keep the pics comming of it..!!
Old 10/29/2004, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Still waiting for a replacement cable to be delivered to transfer pics to the PC It's my wife's old digital camera and it doesn't have USB and the original cable is lost.

Even with all the insulation and at least a few of the planned heat vents down there, the basement is still a little chilly. I need to get the tank going just to the MH can help warm the basement up Having a walkout is nice, but that whole back side above grade doesn't insulate like 8 feet of dirt does!
Old 10/29/2004, 12:45 PM
Brother Maynard

lights...ahhh, lights...

the unending, never ending always controversial topic of illumination.

choose but choose wisely...as the knight from the indiana jones last crusade movie said.

choose wrong...and it will cost ya...a lot!

when i upsized my 125g to 180g...i was looking for new halides. my 2x400w 10k ushios on magnetic ballasts were 'ok' but not spectacular. even actinic supplementation didnt really bring the color tint to my liking.

enter giesemann.

i got the giesemann 72" fixture used from a fellow reefer who was also unloading the 180g i presently have. he told me giesemann's are the only way to go. i just shrugged my shoulders and didnt really know what to make of it.

giesemann? who the heck is that? i know pfo, hamilton, hello lights yada, yada, yada......giesemann?

anyway, i decided to take a leap of faith and trust him.

i have never looked back on getting the giesemann's. i am so happy with them. the intensity, the color rendition of the 10k ab de bulbs...whoo.

in addition, it is a single pendant. i was in the market for a pendant to use it for an open top system because i was sick of heat issues with closed hoods. everyone i know has heat issues with closed hoods...even guys who run t5's.

scared of de bulbs breaking upon installation? go ahead and break a few. how else are you going to learn? gotta break eggs to make a cake.

after running se bulbs...i would definitely say that de bulbs are a much better bulb than se bulbs. it just has a little extra care qualities like: when changing bulbs, dont get your skin oils on it otherwise they will break with the intense heat (same for se bulbs btw), need to use a uv shield. other than that...it's all good.

hth's.

Ben.
Old 10/29/2004, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Ben,

How many and what wattage lights are in that fixture?

And, do you know off-hand who carries them? I'm sure I can find it, just wondering if you've got a site or two off the top of your head
Old 10/29/2004, 01:19 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Scooter,
Your wife is looking for you

Your idea about 250 and 400 sounds good. I am going to have 4 5 foot SLS T5 reflectors for sale if you decide to go that route for supplimental.
Old 10/29/2004, 01:46 PM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by scooters reef
Ben,

How many and what wattage lights are in that fixture?

And, do you know off-hand who carries them? I'm sure I can find it, just wondering if you've got a site or two off the top of your head
hi,

the fixture has 3 250w fixtures. this light was custom ordered in that the wiring is such that the two outer lights are independently wired from the center light. thus, i have two timers for my fixture. the center light comes on an hour after the outer lights have been on and goes off two hours before the outer lights. this is to simulate noon high intensity.

giesemann is a sponser here on rc. if you click to see all the forums and scroll down to the giesemann sponser board...you can ask them directly how to get the lights. i don't know the wait period for them but there may be one. these are quality lights and i dont think they are mass produced like other things we are used to.

there is a lot of quality in the light i have. the finish of the glossy black paint to the perfect polish of the glass uv filter glass. nothing beats it. expensive, yes. but aesthetics aside...it's performance will blow your mind.

man, can i sell you the brooklyn bridge next?

Ben.
Old 10/29/2004, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

LOL

Didn't sell me yet :P

Figured it was at least looking into though.

Grim Reefer: Yeah, she's probably wondering what I'm doing on RC again instead of hanging sheetrock
Old 10/31/2004, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

http://www.giesemannlicht.com/page.php?page=home

This is the link to giesemann lights, They are distribute by a company in Texas, and BTW they are running a hallowing 10% until this sunday, I am thinking in ordering a canopy.
Old 10/31/2004, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

halloween.....ups
Old 11/11/2004, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

What can you use to shield DE MH??? Are there a wide range of bulbs for these?
Old 11/11/2004, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

I believe all of the available DE pendants include a UV shield. It is my understanding that on 250w DE bulbs there is a wide range of options, but on 400w there is still limited options, non of the German manufacturers are doing them, you can only get Asian Bulbs for now.