Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/05/2004, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

gray patches on A. latezonatus

She has been in captivity for about 2 months. Eats well, no heavy breathing, no scratching. Meds in the QT were Pipzine and double dose of Furacyn. She has had this patch for about a month. Most of the time the patch looks darker, she just got extremely nervious in front of the camera and lost a lot of color.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 09/05/2004, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

If the patch is stable, I'd say it's from an old wound, now probably healed, and wouldn't worry about it. If it seems to be getting worse, that's a different story.
Old 09/05/2004, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SAT
If the patch is stable, I'd say it's from an old wound,
Thanks Stuart,

That was my thinking too, as she had jumped out from a tank before (not mine). They are skiddish as hell, I have never seen a clown so scared of humans before
Old 09/05/2004, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Hi Marina,
If you remember I had a similar problem with my GSM female. She had this strange patches on her head stripe... It suddenly disappeared. I think she was constantly touching the top of the terracota pot! Are you sure yours isn't touching anything during the night?
Good luck with her...
Old 09/22/2004, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

I transferred them to their brand new home a week ago and they developed this condition (which I assume is stress-related)

If you are able to zoom in, you will see erosions all over the body. Fins are cloudy with a little bit of fin rot going on. Red streak on the head bar is a bruise from bouncing off the rocks

They have been FW dipped several times (seemed to help a bit), SG is at 1.009, temp is 74F and Spectrogram was added last night. They breathe normally and eat very well

Last edited by MarinaP; 09/22/2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10/07/2004, 01:55 AM
Frugal Reefer

Mine has the same problem (black blotches), but it doesn't seem to bother the fish. I can't tell if it's going away or not, but after a week it seems to have gotten lighter. It behaves like a regular normal fish (and eats like a pig too). As far as the white film. Mine also had it when I first purchased it, but went away in a day. I didn't even quarantine my fish (I believe in letting their own immune system fighting it off). Right now all is well, I have one very healthy female and the smaller "male". They are now together in the same tank and NO FIGHTING!!! YAY and they even sleep together.

Richard

Last edited by richdragon32; 10/07/2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10/07/2004, 02:13 AM
Frugal Reefer

Pictures

First one is the male. Notice the dark spots on the mid band. Also the torn caudal fins... females can be such a *itch J.K.

This one is the female.

The pair and all its glory.
Old 10/07/2004, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarinaP
I transferred them to their brand new home a week ago and they developed this condition (which I assume is stress-related)

If you are able to zoom in, you will see erosions all over the body. Fins are cloudy with a little bit of fin rot going on. Red streak on the head bar is a bruise from bouncing off the rocks

They have been FW dipped several times (seemed to help a bit), SG is at 1.009, temp is 74F and Spectrogram was added last night. They breathe normally and eat very well
That looks like something more than just stress. It resembles Brooklynella, although I can't explain how that would develop this long after you received them unless it's been on them and dormant.

I assume you're monitoring the water conditions closely, right? Ammonia poisoning can look like this.

I doubt the freshwater dips are doing them much good. It's not a very effective treatment for protozoan parasites or bacteria but it is quite stressful. If you think it might be Brook, I suggest trying a formalin bath (http://216.168.47.67/cis-fishnet/seascope/99SS1601.htm). I also doubt it's Ich, in which case the hyposalinity probably isn't likely to cure anything. I suggest slowly raising the salinity to a more moderate level (don't have to take it all the way up).

If you're intending to breed them, I'd be careful about treating them for long durations with nitrofurans (including Furacyn or Spectrogram). According to Noga, those are carcinogenic, genotoxic, and mutagenic. You might consider a different antibiotic (e.g., double dose of Maracyn-two) instead.