Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2003, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Aquafuge - Output Flow Problem

My Aquafuge 18 output flow is slower than the input and the output chamber water level continues to rise. The FAQs on the CPR website acknowledge this situation and advise:
1. Clean the pump - I did this and still have the problem
2. Output tube and pump must be fully submersed - checked this and confirmed that mine are fully submersed
3. Suspected loss of suction/Repeat Step #5 of instructions - did this by unplugging pump, reconnect pump with low flow, let water level rise - but level never dropped like instructions say it will so I cannot get to the part of fully opening input valve as the water level will continue to rise in the fuge (and possible overflow)

Any one experience this condition? How did you fix it?

HELP! Thanks in advance for your feedback and sharing your experience with this.
Old 09/16/2003, 08:24 AM
1 & Over Club

Try putting your hand over the output pipe. Let the water inside the chamber rise. When it get close to flooding, let go of your hand. You're doing this b/c you're trying to push out the trap air from inside the output tube.
Old 09/16/2003, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Don't mean to ask a stupid question, but do you have a suggested way to "putting your hand over the output pipe"? The output is about 1/4" from the back glass wall of the tank and of course the other end is 1/4" off the bottom floor of the Aquafuge.

Also, do I cover the outlet pipe with the valve fully opened with full flow or partially opened?

Last edited by besl; 09/16/2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09/16/2003, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Vpham97, thank you soooooo much for taking the time and respondig to my cry of HELP. I did what you said and it worked!

Mind you, I emailed CPR twice. One message wasn't responded to. The second message advised me to clean out the pump - I did this, but I knew this was ridiculous direction if I'm telling him that the OUT flow is slower than the IN flow. I think CPRmakes good products, but providing that advise speaks poorly for their support personnel.

My local lfs that I do respect advises me not to take advise from the internet... but I have read and learned so much at REEFCENTRAL and when there are people here willing to help fellow hobby-ists with their only gain being that they helped fellow hobby-ists makes REEFCENTRAL THE BEST FORUM FOR THOSE INTO REEFKEEPING!!!!

Thanks again Vpham97 and thanks REEFCENTRAL for providing this media to the hobby!